Book puts UN climate summit security at risk: Minister
Copenhagen: Denmark fears that security at
the upcoming UN climate conference will be compromised by
revelations in a book by a former Danish commando, the
Politiken newspaper reported on Friday.
Defence Minister Soeren Gade told a parliamentary
committee yesterday that details about summit security were
among the reasons the Danish military tried -- unsuccessfully
-- to ban the book, it said, citing several unnamed
Much of Staff Sergeant Thomas Rathsack`s book "Hunter:
With the Elite at War" deals with the work of Denmark`s elite
Jaegerkorpset (Huntsmen Corps) special forces unit in
Afghanistan and Iraq.
But it also mentions security measures taken for a
European Union summit in Copenhagen in 2002 -- including how
EU leaders in an emergency would have been rescued from their
hotel-room windows by rappelling soldiers.
With support from the defence ministry, the Danish armed
forces tried to get the book banned on grounds of military
secrecy, notably invoking the security of Danish soldiers in
But a court refused its request, saying excerpts had
already appeared in Politiken a few days earlier and were
widely available on the Internet.
More than half of Denmark`s police officers are being
mobilised for the two-week UN climate change conference in
December that will see a number of heads of state and
government in Copenhagen.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Will Shiv Sena join hands with Congress to stop BJP from entering BMC?
- Why is Akhilesh Yadav encouraging dishonesty for votes?
- UP polls: Polling for fifth phase of Assembly elections today
- UP polls: PM Modi addresses public rally in Mau
- Report: Are mobile smartphones more unhygienic than toilet seats?
- Virender Sehwag's reply to Kargil martyr's daughter has taken the Internet by storm
- Ind vs Aus: Mohammed Azharuddin says Jayant Yadav and Ishant Sharma should be replaced in next Test
- Indian doctor rescued from ISIS recounts horror, says 'they forced me to watch videos, shot me thrice'
- Gurmehar Kaur reacts to Virender Sehwag's tweet, says she is heart broken!
- Pune Test: Virender Sehwag could have saved India from embarrassment, says former Aussie stars