Bookmakers offer varied odds on next pope
London: As cardinals gathered in the Vatican on Tuesday to elect a new pope, bookmakers appeared as uncertain as everyone else as to who would emerge as leader of the world`s 1.2 billion baptized Catholics.
Cardinals Angelo Scola of Italy - seeking to become the first Italian pope in 35 years - and Odilo Scherer from Brazil are the favourites with most bookmakers, with British bookmaker William Hill offering odds of 9/4 and 4/1 respectively.
The relatively generous odds reflect what is generally regarded as being an open field, with the Catholic Church caught unawares by the unexpected resignation of Pope Benedict in February, the first unforced papal resignation in some 600 years.
The third favourite, Ghanaian Cardinal Peter Turkson, is at 9/2.
If either Scherer -- a prolific tweeter - or Turkson are elected, they would become the first non-European popes.
A dark horse, at 10/1, is Canadian Cardinal Marc Ouellet, the Vatican`s chief theological watchdog.
New York Cardinal Timothy Dolan, at 20/1, has also been mentioned as a possible shock victor.
His lack of fluency in foreign languages, a key skill for any pope, is a factor against him, however, analysts say.
In an interesting development, the Paddy Power bookmaker is offering odds of 500/1 for rock singer Bono.
The lead singer of Ireland`s U2 is not, however, a cardinal.
The 115 cardinal-electors attended a special Mass in St. Peter`s Basilica on Tuesday.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- UP CM Yogi Adityanath takes 50 decisions without single Cabinet meet
- UP CM Yogi Adityanath reviews Gomti riverfront work
- UP CM Yogi Adityanath warns supporters of criminals, mafia
- Legal, illegal slaughterhouses in UP: What you need to know
- Triple talaq, polygamy integral part of Islam: AIMPLB tells SC
- Azam Khan demands ban on cow slaughter across India, says Muslims should stop eating beef
- Kapil Sharma–Sunil Grover fallout: Kiku Sharda finally breaks silence
- Sunil Grover to return as Dr Mashoor Gulati!
- Asaduddin Owaisi asks Centre to clarify policy on buffalo meat export, Nirmala Sitharaman gives apt reply
- No ban on cow slaughter in three Northeast states if party comes to power next year: BJP