Bosnian Serbs wanted peace: Karadzic
The Hague: Serbs attempted to prevent the Bosnian war that killed 100,000 people, wartime political leader Radovan Karadzic told his genocide trial before a UN court on Tuesday.
"The Serbs attempted before the war several chances and options for peace," the Bosnian Serb leader told the International Criminal Tribunal for the former Yugoslavia trying him on 11 charges of genocide, war crimes and crimes against humanity.
Karadzic ended a boycott of his trial and took the stand on Monday for a two-day opening statement, outlining his defence to charges that he commanded an "ethnic cleansing" campaign of Croats and Muslims during the 1992-95 war.
Karadzic told judges that Bosnia`s Serbs were defending themselves against Muslim and Croat aggression, describing numerous provocative incidents like an attack on a Serb wedding and a machine-gun assault on his own family apartment shortly before the war broke out.
The 64-year-old stands charged for his role in the war that claimed 100,000 lives and displaced 2.2 million people.
He is accused of colluding with the late Yugoslav leader Slobodan Milosevic to plot the creation of a "Greater Serbia" that was to include 60 percent of Bosnian territory. Serbs made up about one-third of Bosnia`s population.
Among the charges against Karadzic are the 1995 Srebrenica massacre of more than 7,000 Muslim men and boys, and the 44-month siege of Sarajevo that ended in November 1995 with some 10,000 people killed.
But he told the tribunal Tuesday that Sarajevo was "not a city under siege, it was a city divided."
On the night of April 5, 1992, considered the eve of the outbreak of war, Karadzic said: "terror broke loose in Sarajevo. It was the worst night ever", with snipers in all the high-rise buildings.
"It was terrible to be a Serb that night in Sarajevo."
The Serbs, he said, withdrew to their own districts where they tried to defend their families. "That is how the line dividing the town was established. It wasn`t a line of siege, it was a line separating and dividing two parts of the town."
Arrested on a Belgrade bus in July 2008 after 13 years on the run, Karadzic has pleaded not guilty. He risks life imprisonment. His opening statement is to be followed Wednesday with the testimony of the first prosecution witness.
The former President of the self-proclaimed Bosnian Serb state, Republika Srpska, has sought another delay of his trial until June 17, claiming he needs more time to prepare his case. He has threatened to resume his boycott if turned down.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- I eat beef, can somebody stop me?: Kiren Rijiju hits back at Naqvi
- Delhi: Visually impaired boy scores 91.4% in CBSE 12th Board exams
- MP: 14-year-old boy works as bonded labour since 2009
- UP: Man chops off wife's nose, hair for dowry
- Zee Media Exclusive: The plight of yoga expert Tejaswi Sharma
- Heat ave continues in India, death toll climbs to over 1,400
- Megastar Amitabh Bachchan slapped with Rs 1 crore notice
- Woman denied flat in Mumbai for being a Muslim
- 4 Indians in Forbes' 100 most powerful women list
- Kenyan lawyer offers to marry Barack Obama's daughter Malia
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads- Part II
- Maggi likely to face ban in India!
- Salman Khan accident files burnt in Mantralaya fire
- AIB: The 'Third Gender's right to dignity'
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 to be announced today
- Check mahresult.nic.in for MSBSHSE Maharashtra Class 12 HSC Result 2015
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 (cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in) postponed?
- Maharashtra MSBSHSE HSC Result 2015 on mahresult.nic.in
- I was misquoted, says Kiren Rijiju on 'beef' remark
- Check cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in for CBSE Class 10 Result 2015
- First look: Salman Khan steals thunder in `Bajrangi Bhaijaan`
- mahresult.nic.in updated with MSBSHSE Maharashtra HSC Class XII Result 2015
- CBSE Class 10 (Class X Board) Result 2015 on cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in at 2 pm
- Manmohan Singh defends himself on 2G charge, slams Modi govt for 'carbon copy' schemes
- Sonia Gandhi 'unconstitutional authority' during UPA: PM Narendra Modi
- Hours after attacking NDA govt, Manmohan Singh meets PM Narendra Modi
- Reservation stir: Five percent job quota to Gujjars unlikely, hints Rajasthan govt
- PMO website revamped, now send e-mail to PM Modi directly
- Death toll climbs to over 1400 as intense heatwave continues in India