Bosnians to bury 520 Srebrenica genocide victims
Sarajevo: On the 17th anniversary of Europe`s worst massacre since World War II, Muslims in Bosnia are heading to Srebrenica to attend a funeral for 520 newly identified victims.
The remains of those Muslim men and boys slaughtered at Srebrenica around July 11, 1995, will be laid to rest on Wednesday in the town whose name is now synonymous with genocide. The coffins are already at the memorial centre and the burial pits have been dug.
Ambulances were also standing ready to help those among the tens of thousands for whom the event will be too much to handle.
Rabija Hrustanovic found the remains of her husband and brother among the sea of simple green coffins waiting to be buried.
"I want to lay down next to them and stay here forever," she said before breaking into tears.
Srebrenica was a UN-protected Muslim town in Bosnia besieged by Serb forces throughout Bosnia`s 1992-95 war. Serb troops led by Gen Ratko Mladic overran the enclave in July 1995, separated men from women and executed 8,000 men and boys within just a few days. Dutch troops stationed in Srebrenica as UN peacekeepers were undermanned and outgunned, and failed to intervene.
The bodies of the victims are still being found in mass graves throughout eastern Bosnia. The task has been made even more difficult by the fact that the perpetrators dug up mass graves and reburied remains in other mass graves to try to cover their tracks.
The victims have been identified through DNA analysis and newly identified ones are buried at the Srebrenica memorial centre every year.
So far, over 5,000 Srebrenica victims found this way have been laid to rest.
Mladic was arrested last year in Serbia and is on trial now at the tribunal in The Hague. He faces 11 charges, including genocide, for allegedly masterminding Serb atrocities throughout the war that left 100,000 dead, especially the Srebrenica massacre. He denies wrongdoing.
But despite the charges, to many Serbs Mladic remains a national hero.
"Serbs believe he is an honourable and fair man," said Bosnian Serb Novica Kapuran from the town of Pale, near Sarajevo.
"He is being blamed for something he has not done."
That attitude angers Muslim Bosniaks.
In Washington, President Barack Obama issued a statement honouring the memory of the "8,000 innocent men and boys" who were massacred in Srebrenica 17 years ago.
"The name Srebrenica will forever be associated with some of the darkest acts of the 20th century," Obama said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Vyapam Scam: IMA president Sudhir Tiwari fears life threat
- Vyapam Scam: Mystery over journalist Akshay Singh's death continues
- Panel discussion on RSS's 'Muslim Rashtriya Manch' first Iftaar party
- MPs spend more than Rs 25 cr taxpayers' money on study tours: DNA reports
- Jhansi police launches ‘Citizen Cop’ android app
- Vyapam scam: MP medical college dean found dead in hotel, body sent for post-mortem
- Vyapam scam: Last rites of journalist Akshay Singh performed; MP CM assures of SIT probe
- Photographer captures International Space Station flying across moon
- PM Narendra Modi holds talks with Uzbek leader
- Akshay Singh's death case: MP CM assures fair probe, lambasts Oppn over Vyapam scam