Boston blasts: FBI looks at Pakistani terror group
Islamabad: The US Federal Bureau of Investigation (FBI) is looking at a Waziristan-based terror group`s link with the two brothers suspected of the deadly Boston bombings, a media report said.
The News International reported that Islamic Jehad Union (IJU) has come under FBI`s focus for its alleged links with Tamerlan and Dzhokhar Tsarnaev, two brothers of Chechen descent who allegedly carried out the blasts in Boston April 15, killing three people.
FBI believes that the two brothers were linked to the Islamic Jehad Union which has recruited Chechens, Uzbeks, Europeans and Arab Muslims to fight with them against the US forces in Afghanistan, it cited the American media as saying.
"That the Islamic Jehad Union is headquartered in the Mir Ali area of North Waziristan is a general knowledge thing for most of the terrorism experts in Pakistan," said the media report.
The IJU was initially known as Islamic Jehad Group (IJG), which was founded in March 2002 by two Uzbek rebels of Islamic Movement of Uzbekistan - Najmuddin Jalolov alia Abu Yahya and Suhael Buranov alias Abu Huzaifa.
It was banned by the US State Department in 2005 as a Foreign Terrorist Organization. The IJU set up its headquarters in the Mir Ali area of North Waziristan.
Islamic Jehad Union maintains close ties with the North Waziristan-based leadership of al Qaeda and the Haqqani militant network, said the media report.
Central Asians, including Chechens and Uzbeks, and Turks and Germans make up a significant portion of the terror group.
In April 2004 it had first claimed responsibility for a series of suicide bombings around Tashkent and Bukhara, killing 47 people.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is Samajwadi Party-Congress alliance just a compulsion for Akhilesh Yadav?
- UP polls: When fans played spoilsport for SP star campaigner Dimple Yadav
- Have political parties diverted from development agenda in UP elections?
- Pakistan cancels licenses of weapons issued to Hafiz Saeed and his aides
- DNA: How India became world's largest arms importer
- BMC election 2017 results LIVE: Shiv Sena leading in 94 seats, BJP in 56; counting underway
- BMC exit poll: BJP predicted to score big in neck-and-neck battle with Shiv Sena
- How Kashmiris use children for 'meri jaan Pakistan' type 'freedom struggle' - WATCH
- Maharashtra Civic Results 2017 LIVE: BJP leader Kirit Somaiya's son wins in Mumbai; Asaduddin Owaisi's AIMIM grabs 5 seats in Solapur
- Thane Municipal Corporation Elections 2017 Results LIVE: Counting underway; Shiv Sena leads the race