`Boston blasts motivated by US wars in Iraq, Afghanistan`
Zee Media Bureau
Boston: In what reinforces the point of religious motive being behind Boston marathon blasts, the suspects were motivated by the wars waged by the United States in Iraq and Afghanistan, it has emerged.
As per a CNN report, a US government official said that Dzhokhar Tsarnaev, the surviving suspect has told investigators that Iraq and Afghanistan wars were the driving force behind April 15 attack at Boston Marathon that killed three and injured more than 200.
Dzhokhar told investigators that they were self-radicalised via internet.
Tamerlan, 26, used to frequently visit extremist websites that spread propaganda and urge jihad no the US, including one site linked to a Yemen-based offshoot of Al Qaeda, the New York Daily News reported.
Dzhokhar is also said to have told investigators that he and his brother learned to make homemade pressure-cooker bombs from Inspire, an online magazine published by the Al Qaeda, another media report said.
Dzhokhar, who remains under guard in a Boston hospital, has been responding to investigators by scribbling notes as he can’t speak dur to a throat injury, and earlier told them that his elder brother, Tamerlan, 26, was the attacks’ mastermind as he "wanted to defend Islam from attack."
The teenager, who faces life imprisonment or even the death penalty after being charged for his role in the attack, has also told investigators the brothers received no financial support or assistance from any foreign group.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Beaten by mob in Kolkata, US NRI vows never to return in India
- When will democracy get freedom from dynasty politics?
- Delhi: Taxi driver dies as BMW rams into car near IIT
- DNA: Has bad time started for American 'media' after Donald Trump became US President?
- DNA: Analyzing the role of Netaji Subhash Chandra Bose in Indian Independence
- WATCH: Epic Staredown between Goldberg, The Undertaker and Brock Lesnar at WWE Raw
- Jallikattu stir: As it happened on Monday
- Naresh Agrawal breaks silence on leaving Akhilesh Yadav-led Samajwadi Party and joining BJP
- International Space Station – When, where and how to spot ISS
- Reliance Jio impact: Bharti Airtel Q3 net profit dips 54% to Rs 503.7 crore