`Boston blasts motivated by US wars in Iraq, Afghanistan`
Zee Media Bureau
Boston: In what reinforces the point of religious motive being behind Boston marathon blasts, the suspects were motivated by the wars waged by the United States in Iraq and Afghanistan, it has emerged.
As per a CNN report, a US government official said that Dzhokhar Tsarnaev, the surviving suspect has told investigators that Iraq and Afghanistan wars were the driving force behind April 15 attack at Boston Marathon that killed three and injured more than 200.
Dzhokhar told investigators that they were self-radicalised via internet.
Tamerlan, 26, used to frequently visit extremist websites that spread propaganda and urge jihad no the US, including one site linked to a Yemen-based offshoot of Al Qaeda, the New York Daily News reported.
Dzhokhar is also said to have told investigators that he and his brother learned to make homemade pressure-cooker bombs from Inspire, an online magazine published by the Al Qaeda, another media report said.
Dzhokhar, who remains under guard in a Boston hospital, has been responding to investigators by scribbling notes as he can’t speak dur to a throat injury, and earlier told them that his elder brother, Tamerlan, 26, was the attacks’ mastermind as he "wanted to defend Islam from attack."
The teenager, who faces life imprisonment or even the death penalty after being charged for his role in the attack, has also told investigators the brothers received no financial support or assistance from any foreign group.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Helicopter ferrying 6 pilgrims, woman pilot crashes near Katra
- Growing sense of despondency in India from last 6-8 months: Aamir Khan
- 8th Ramnath Goenka Awards: Sudhir Chaudhary awarded for Excellence in Journalism
- Tejashwi Yadav takes charge as Deputy CM of Bihar
- Arvind Kejriwal clarifies his friendly gesture with Lalu Prasad Yadav
- Karnataka, Madhya Pradesh bypoll results: As it happened on November 24
- Lesson for jihadi aspirants? ISIS says Indians not good enough as 6 out of 23 fighters from India are killed
- Aamir Khan feels intolerance growing in India, says his wife suggested moving out of India
- Intolerance issue: When did ‘Incredible India’ become ‘Intolerant India’, Anupam Kher asks Aamir Khan
- Boon for SC/ST candidates? Birth, caste certificates likely to be merged