Boston bombing case: 3 charged for ‘covering up’ suspects
Boston: Three teenage college friends of Chechen-origin Boston bombings suspect Dzhokhar Tsarnaev tried to save him although they knew that he was involved in the terrorist attack, with two of them destroying his key belongings and the third lying to the police.
But little did they knew that their effort would land them in jail for helping someone who is suspected of two bomb blasts in Boston that killed three people and injured more than 200 others on April 15, in one of the worst terrorist attack in the US post 9/11.
The FBI yesterday arrested and charged Dias Kadyrbayev, and Azamat Tazhayakov, both of New Bedford in Massachusetts, of trying to destroy the key evidences - a laptop computer and a backpack containing fireworks. A third, Robel Phillipos, is charged with making false statements to officials.
According to the criminal complaint filed before a Boston court, law enforcement agents recovered Tsarnaev`s backpack from a landfill in New Bedford where they believed it to have been dumped by the service that removes garbage from the Carriage Drive apartment complex.
The backpack was partially enclosed in a black garbage bag with red drawstring handles. Inside the backpack, the agents recovered fireworks, ajar of Vaseline, and a homework assignment sheet, among other things.
The assignment sheet is from a class in which Tsarnaev is currently enrolled, said the FBI agent Scott P Cieplik.
These are the items that Tazhayakov, Kadyrbayev - from Kazakhastan - and Phillipos, a US citizen, took from Tsarnaev`s dorm room at the University of Massachusetts- Dartmouth after the FBI released photos of Tsarnaev and his elder brother Tamerlan, as the suspects of the Boston blasts.
According to the FBI affidavit, the three quickly knew that the video and picture released by the Boston police was that of their friend Tsarnaev.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- PM Narendra Modi's speech at Heart of Asia conference
- Aware of Chinese submarine deployment at Balochistan's Gwadar port, says Navy chief
- Like SAARC, should India boycott Pak in Heart of Asia conference?
- 'Heart of Asia' Conference begins in Amritsar; Sartaj Aziz to pay a visit on Sunday
- Iraqi army inches close to Baghdadi in Mosul- Report
- Rs 14,000 crore default case: Gujarat businessman detained, says money belongs to politicians, babus
- LIVE: Jayalalithaa's condition critical after suffering cardiac arrest, huge crowd gathers outside Apollo hospital
- Newly-wed couple Yuvraj Singh and Hazel Keech perform `bhangra` at Goa airport – Viral video
- Gujarat man who disclosed Rs 14,000 crore unaccounted wealth goes missing
- RBI to issue new Rs 20, Rs 50 notes; old notes to remain legal tender