Boston bombing case: 3 charged for ‘covering up’ suspects
Boston: Three teenage college friends of Chechen-origin Boston bombings suspect Dzhokhar Tsarnaev tried to save him although they knew that he was involved in the terrorist attack, with two of them destroying his key belongings and the third lying to the police.
But little did they knew that their effort would land them in jail for helping someone who is suspected of two bomb blasts in Boston that killed three people and injured more than 200 others on April 15, in one of the worst terrorist attack in the US post 9/11.
The FBI yesterday arrested and charged Dias Kadyrbayev, and Azamat Tazhayakov, both of New Bedford in Massachusetts, of trying to destroy the key evidences - a laptop computer and a backpack containing fireworks. A third, Robel Phillipos, is charged with making false statements to officials.
According to the criminal complaint filed before a Boston court, law enforcement agents recovered Tsarnaev`s backpack from a landfill in New Bedford where they believed it to have been dumped by the service that removes garbage from the Carriage Drive apartment complex.
The backpack was partially enclosed in a black garbage bag with red drawstring handles. Inside the backpack, the agents recovered fireworks, ajar of Vaseline, and a homework assignment sheet, among other things.
The assignment sheet is from a class in which Tsarnaev is currently enrolled, said the FBI agent Scott P Cieplik.
These are the items that Tazhayakov, Kadyrbayev - from Kazakhastan - and Phillipos, a US citizen, took from Tsarnaev`s dorm room at the University of Massachusetts- Dartmouth after the FBI released photos of Tsarnaev and his elder brother Tamerlan, as the suspects of the Boston blasts.
According to the FBI affidavit, the three quickly knew that the video and picture released by the Boston police was that of their friend Tsarnaev.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: Aspiring for more than what you have!
- ISIS to buy first nuclear weapon from Pak?
- Mumbai: CCTV captures assailant with gun at Film City
- Mathura SSP receives death threat letter, message for PM Modi
- BJP now central pole of Indian politics: Arun Jaitley
- Reservation issue: Police register case against Bainsla, 20 others
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 7:30pm
- Zee Media exclusive chat with 'Welcome to Karachi' cast
- Zee Media exclusive interview with Haryana CM Manohar Lal Khattar
- Haridwar: Hotel Radisson Blu sealed for polluting Ganga
- Girl in Punjab's Pathankot quit studies for fear of eve-teasing
- Special: Furious over rising water crisis, people take to the streets
- UP Minister allegedly threatens, abuses Gonda businessman
- Manali: Heavy corruption found in environmental taxes
- Couple in Bihar asked to pay Rs 50,000 as 'tax' for inter-caste marriage
- IPL 2015 Final: MI vs CSK - As it happened...
- IPL 8 Final: We need to be at our best against Mumbai, says Michael Hussey
- Heatwave leaves 153 dead in Telangana, Andhra Pradesh
- Heatwave continues in North India; death toll in Andhra Pradesh, Telangana more than 400
- 'Tanu Weds Manu Returns' starts on a good note at the Box Office!
- CBSE 12th Result 2015 to be announced on Monday
- Death threat to PM Narendra Modi ahead of Mathura rally sends police into tizzy
- Standoff with LG: Arvind Kejriwal calls emergency session of Delhi Assembly
- Organisation demands re-examination of AIPMT 2015
- Kejriwal completes 100 days in office, AAP says centre 'shadow boxing' over row with LG
- CBSE Class 12th Board Results 2015 to be announced on Monday, May 25
- IPL 2015 final: Mumbai Indians thrash Chennai Super Kings by 41 runs to lift second title
- Top 5 shopping destinations in Delhi!