Boston bombing case: 3 charged for ‘covering up’ suspects
Boston: Three teenage college friends of Chechen-origin Boston bombings suspect Dzhokhar Tsarnaev tried to save him although they knew that he was involved in the terrorist attack, with two of them destroying his key belongings and the third lying to the police.
But little did they knew that their effort would land them in jail for helping someone who is suspected of two bomb blasts in Boston that killed three people and injured more than 200 others on April 15, in one of the worst terrorist attack in the US post 9/11.
The FBI yesterday arrested and charged Dias Kadyrbayev, and Azamat Tazhayakov, both of New Bedford in Massachusetts, of trying to destroy the key evidences - a laptop computer and a backpack containing fireworks. A third, Robel Phillipos, is charged with making false statements to officials.
According to the criminal complaint filed before a Boston court, law enforcement agents recovered Tsarnaev`s backpack from a landfill in New Bedford where they believed it to have been dumped by the service that removes garbage from the Carriage Drive apartment complex.
The backpack was partially enclosed in a black garbage bag with red drawstring handles. Inside the backpack, the agents recovered fireworks, ajar of Vaseline, and a homework assignment sheet, among other things.
The assignment sheet is from a class in which Tsarnaev is currently enrolled, said the FBI agent Scott P Cieplik.
These are the items that Tazhayakov, Kadyrbayev - from Kazakhastan - and Phillipos, a US citizen, took from Tsarnaev`s dorm room at the University of Massachusetts- Dartmouth after the FBI released photos of Tsarnaev and his elder brother Tamerlan, as the suspects of the Boston blasts.
According to the FBI affidavit, the three quickly knew that the video and picture released by the Boston police was that of their friend Tsarnaev.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch - Huge fire breaks out at petrol pump in Kota, Rajasthan
- NSG now 'nine times' stronger; receives technological strength from 12 countries!
- RJD strongman Shahabuddin brought to Delhi
- UP elections in third phase; voting on 69 seats of 12 districts
- Panel discussion over why SP government is backing Gayatri Prajapati
- 'BJP is winning by absolute majority in Uttar Pradesh Assembly elections'
- 7th Pay Commission: Allowances committee raises HRA to 30%?
- J&K: 26 soldiers martyred, 22 militants killed as Army steps up security in Valley
- Virat Kohli thanks sprint legend Usain Bolt for congratulating on 'record' Puma deal
- Virat Kohli becomes first Indian sportsperson to sign Rs 100-crore endorsement deal