Boston bombing: Dzhokhar Tsarnaev charged, may face death penalty
Zeenews BureauMoscow:>Earlier in the day, Dzhokhar Tsarnaev, 19, who is receiving treatment in at Beth Israel Deaconess Medical Center, was responding to investigators in writing as he can’t speak due to a throat injury.
Tsarnaev also has been charged with one count of malicious destruction of property by means of deadly explosives, official said in a statement.
The federal charges "authorize a penalty, upon conviction, of death or imprisonment for life or any term of years," the statement said.
"Although our investigation is ongoing, today`s charges bring a successful end to a tragic week for the city of Boston, and for our country," said Attorney General Eric Holder.
"Our thoughts and prayers remain with each of the bombing victims and brave law enforcement professionals who lost their lives or suffered serious injuries as a result of this week`s senseless violence."
Tsarnaev and his older brother Tamerlan, 26, who was killed in a shootout with police, are accused of the twin bombing at the Boston Marathon one week ago, which killed three people and wounded some 180 others.
With AFP inputs
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is this for real: Ajinkya Rahane bizarre shot went for six, concerned Virat Kohli settles with smile — WATCH
- Azam Khan demands ban on cow slaughter across India, says Muslims should stop eating beef
- No ban on cow slaughter in three Northeast states if party comes to power next year: BJP
- Sunil Grover to return as Dr Mashoor Gulati!
- Asaduddin Owaisi asks Centre to clarify policy on buffalo meat export, Nirmala Sitharaman gives apt reply