Boston bombing suspect Dzhokhar `responding in writing`
Zee Media Bureau
Boston: US investigators are trying to ascertain whether the surviving suspect in Boston marathon bombings, inflicted a serious throat injury on himself in an attempt to commit suicide, reports said Monday.
Dzhokhar Tsarnaev, 19, who is receiving treatment in at Beth Israel Deaconess Medical Center, is reportedly responding to investigators in writing as he can’t speak due to a throat injury.
The neck injuring rendering him unable to talk might have been caused by a suicide attempt, a USA Today report quoted federal law enforcement officials as saying.
Dzhokhar was captured on Friday after a tough chase by police that resulted in the death of his elder brother and other suspect Tamerlan Tsarnaev. Subsequently, a manhunt was launched that shut down entire Boston, culminating in Dzhokhar’s capture.
In addition to his neck injury, reportedly a gunshot wound through the mouth that exited to the back of his neck, Tsarnaev is said to have been shot in the leg during a shootout with law enforcement the night before his arrest.
A policeman was killed and another was seriously wounded in the shootout.
Three people died in the attacks, the worst to take place in the United States since the suicide airliner bombings on September 11, 2001.
The two were ethnic Chechens who had been living in the United States for a decade.
Ed Davis, the police chief, said the FBI may reopen Copley Square, the area where the explosions took place by the finish line of the Boston Marathon.
Speaking on CBS television`s "Face the Nation," Davis said the Tsarnaev brothers were armed for another attack.
"They had IEDs," Davis said referring to improvised explosives devices. "They had homemade hand grenades that they were throwing at the officers.
"The scene was loaded with unexploded improvised explosive devices that actually we had to point out to the arriving officers and clear the area," he added, noting that one IED was found in a Mercedes sports utility vehicle the brothers had abandoned.
"This was as dangerous as it gets in urban policing."
He said federal authorities were trying to track down how and where the two suspects obtained the firearms and explosive devices.
Officials have invoked a "public safety" legal exception that will allow them to question Tsarnaev without reading him his rights to remain silent and to consult a lawyer.
Some Republican lawmakers have called for declaring the teenager an "enemy combatant," which would give him the same status as Guantanamo "war on terror" detainees.
But Senator Lindsey Graham has since nuanced his comments, stressing that Tsarnaev should only be considered an enemy combatant for interrogation purposes, and should receive a civilian trial in federal courts, rather than in a military tribunal like foreign suspects with that designation.
Critics have insisted that because Tsarnaev is a naturalized US citizen and authorities have found no ties between him and terror groups so far, he should be granted a criminal civilian trial.
US lawmakers are also questioning why Tamerlan, who may have been radicalized or even trained in the Caucasus, did not raise more red flags despite being questioned at the request of the Russian government in 2011 and spending six months in the volatile region last year.
"Clearly, something happened in my judgment in that six-month timeframe... I`m very concerned," House Homeland Security Committee Chairman Michael McCaul told CNN`s "State of the Union."
Graham said it was a "mistake" to have let the older Tsarnaev out of law enforcement`s sight.
"I don`t know if our laws are insufficient or the FBI failed, but we`re at war with radical Islamists and we need to up our game," he said.
The Tsarnaev family came to the United States from the former Soviet state of Kyrgyzstan around 2002. Dzhokhar became a US citizen in 2012, while his older brother`s application was reportedly held up.
Tamerlan began posting militant videos on social media sites in recent years, and traveled to Dagestan, which borders Chechnya, in 2012. Both Russian regions host separatist rebel groups.
The brothers` social media pages appeared to express sympathy with the struggle in Chechnya, which has been ravaged by two wars since 1994 between Russia and increasingly Islamist-leaning separatist rebels.
But a website used by rebels in Dagestan denied any link to the Boston bombings, saying it was "not waging any military activities against the United States."
"We are only fighting Russia, which is not only responsible for the occupation of the Caucasus, but also for monstrous crimes against Muslims," the Kavkazcenter.com website said.
With AFP Inputs
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- President Mukherjee inspect International Fleet Review at Vishakhapatnam
- Divyansh's death not an accident, but a murder?
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: How realising the purpose of life gives you direction
- Was Divyansh sexually assaulted and then murdered?
- India takes inspiration from Iran; sets up 'Hanger of Kindness' in Delhi
- VIDEO: Mohammad Amir's hat-trick in Match 2 of PSL 2016
- Oh so cute! PM Narendra Modi pulls Akshay Kumar's son Aarav Kumar's ear!-- See pic
- Muslim personal law can't be subjected to scrutiny by Supreme Court: Jamiat-Ulama-i-Hind
- IPL 2016 auction - As it happened...
- Ryan child death: Sexual assault allegations should be probed, says Manish Sisodia