Boston Marathon blasts: Major US cities on alert
Zee media bureau
Washington: Several mega cities in the US, including New York, Los Angeles, Chicago and Washington, have been put on alert and aerial surveillance has been increased after three explosions rocked Boston claiming the lives of three people and injuring over 100 people.
According to reports, security in and around all critical establishments has been tightened and flight movements over the bomb blast site in Boston have been banned.
President Barack Obama and the FBI have chosen not to jump into any conclusions about the nature of the explosions, but Senator Dianna Feinstein, who is chairwoman of the powerful Senate Intelligence Committee, termed it a terrorist attack, based on her understanding.
Media reports said the federal investigating agencies and law enforcement bodies have increased their check on all outgoing international flights, indicating that they might be looking into the possibility of a foreign link to the attack that sent shock waves to the entire nation.
Security of the White House was stepped up soon after the bomb blasts in Boston.
"Out of an abundance of caution, we have expanded our security perimeter at the White House complex. It is not unusual to expand or contract these security perimeters," Secret Service spokesman Edwin Donovan said.
Los Angeles Mayor, Antonio R Villaraigosa said the law enforcement agencies have been put on alert.
"We are working closely with our law enforcement partners to monitor the situation and stand ready to aid Boston in any way possible. The LAPD and other public safety agencies will remain vigilant at all public and sporting events in Los Angeles," he said.
New York Mayor Michael Bloomberg also said the security in the city has been stepped up following the Boston blasts.
With PTI inputs
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Gujarat businessman declares highest ever black money amount – Rs 13,000 crore!
- Army proves Mamata Banerjee wrong, releases letter showing West Bengal govt knew of exercise
- Rs 4.7 crore cash in Rs 2000 notes! Biggest seizure in new currency post demonetisation - What I-T recovered from Bengaluru, Chennai and Erode
- Manohar Parrikar exposes Mamata's attempt to politicise routine Army exercise in Kolkata
- Scam? 'Aam Aadmi Party using Delhi Transport Corporation to exchange Rs 500, Rs 1,000 notes'