Boston marathon bombings: One suspect dead, hunt on for second
Zee Media Bureau
Boston: Reports emanating from the United States say one of the Boston marathon bombing suspects captured on Friday is dead, while the police are chasing a second in a wild, deadly manhunt near the US city.
One police officer was also shot dead and a second wounded in the dramatic nighttime operation, authorities said.
One suspect was caught in Watertown near Boston after a chase in which explosives and gunfire were heard, the Boston Globe reported. Police officials later said the suspect had died.
Special police forces sealed off much of the town as they hunted the second man, the newspaper and other media said.
The authorities made no comment on whether there was a link between the manhunt and Monday`s bombing in which three people were killed and about 180 injured.
But the operation came only hours after the Federal Bureau of Investigation released photos of the suspects they believe planted the bombs.
A robbery at a gas station was followed by the killing of a police officer on the campus of Massachusetts Institute of Technology and a car chase to Watertown, media reports said.
A second police officer was wounded in a gunfight in the town, they added.
(With AFP inputs)
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- 11-year old Odisha boy to get football training at Bayern Munich in Germany
- China warns India against deploying BrahMos cruise missile in Arunachal Pradesh
- One killed in TV channel office attack in Karachi
- Gujarat: Journalist working for local daily found dead in his Junagadh office
- Watch: How floods throw normal life out of gear across country
- Sugar prices soar to Rs 42/kg; FM holds inter-ministerial meeting on banning futures trading
- TCL 562 Review: Well-performing smartphone that's worth its price
- Fraud suspect wanted by China pays $31m to end NZ probe
- A massive rift is threatening Antarctic Larsen C ice shelf to collapse
- 46th day of curfew, restrictions cripple Kashmir