Boston marathon kick-starts under tight security one year after twin blasts
Zee Media Bureau
Boston: Leaving behind the fear of twin bomb blasts, which rocked the marathon stadium last year, thousands of runners reclaim the world`s oldest marathon on Monday.
Around 36,000 people today participated in the marathon under tight security. For the 118th edition of the world`s oldest annual marathon, security along the course has been tighter than ever before.
"There`ll be considerably more police presence," Massachusetts Gov. Deval Patrick said on CBS` "Face the Nation" yesterday.
The visitors today passed through several layers of security checks with around 8,000 steel barricades erected in the area and visitors were not be allowed to carry rucksacks.
More than 100 cameras have been installed along the route in Boston, and 50 or so "observation points" will be set up around the finish line "to monitor the crowd," the Boston Athletic Association said.
The security has been tightened as a precautionary measure after three people were killed and over 260 injured when two bombs exploded near the finish line of the marathon on April 15, 2013.
To boost the participants, last year`s Boston race champion, Amby Burfoot, who also won the 1968 marathon, participated in today`s race in a symbol of love for the city and his favourite event.
Last year, Burfoot completed the race when two bombs ripped through the crowd at the finishing line.
Many of the runners have come to show support for the event and the city that was shocked by the attack on its signature sporting event.
Two brothers who were ethnic Chechens planned and orchestrated the twin bombings near the marathon finish line.
Tamerlan Tsarnaev, 26 died following a shootout with police several days after the bombings while his brother Dzhokhar Tsarnaev, 20, has pleaded not guilty to 30 federal charges and is awaiting a trial.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Jamaat-e-Islami chief announces Rs 100 cr reward for PM Modi's arrest
- Zee Media exclusive interview with victim of Uber molestation
- Maggi samples found unsafe: Delhi government
- DNA: Analysis of Vijay Mallya's 'fund transfer formula'
- IMD forecasts 'deficient' Monsoon, drought-like conditions expected
- Was asked to call Sunanda Pushkar’s death `natural`: AIIMS doctor
- Maggi row: Delhi registers case against Nestle, Kerala withdraws stock from govt stores
- Rahul Gandhi hails BR Ambedkar, takes potshot at Modi-led NDA govt over IIT Madras row
- From being the ‘Dabangg’ girl to ‘Akira’ - Sonakshi Sinha’s journey so far
- China ship carrying 458 on board sinks in Yangtze River: Five dead, hundreds missing