Boston Marathon victims finally cross finish line!
Boston: About 2,000 people, including Boston blasts victims, have symbolically finished the marathon at an emotional event here meant to show that the city has taken back ownership of the popular race that was targeted in a terror attack last month.
Nearly seven weeks after two bombs went off near the finish line of the Boston Marathon, about 2,000 people yesterday ran the last 1.6 kilometres - of the 42-kilometre race, crossing the finish line.
The impetus to run the final mile came from a group called `OneRun`, which was represented by spokesperson Kathleen McGonagle.
Tom Grilk, the executive director of the Boston Athletic Association, organised the effort to give runners and those looking to honour victims a true Boston Marathon experience.
A cold drizzle didn`t stop the marathon runners from running the final mile. It was their chance to "to run that final mile, stolen from us," J Alain Ferry, who also helped organise the run, said.
The bombings killed three people and injured more than 250 people. Some of the victims were among the runner.
Kyle Shade, 26, carried a Chinese flag to honour Lu Lingzi, a Chinese student who was killed in the bombing, The Sacramento Bee reported.
Jarrod Clowery, a 35-year-old survivor of the Boston Marathon bombings, still facing at least two surgeries on legs riddled with burns and shrapnel wounds attended the `OneRun`.
Clowery walked only the final blocks, from the Forum restaurant where he was injured to the finish line, because of his injuries.
"I feel obligated to give back," he was quoted by the Boston Globe as saying.
Bombing suspect 19-year-old Dzhokhar Tsarnaev is in police custody. His brother, Tamerlan Tsarnaev, 26, was killed during an April 19 shootout with police after authorities linked him to the bombings.
The brothers allegedly carried out the marathon attack and later led police on a chase.
On Wednesday an FBI agent shot and killed a man who was believed to have ties to Tamerlan. The man, Ibragim Todashev, told officials before he was shot that he and Tamerlan had killed three people in 2011 in Massachusetts.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- 24 dead after boat carrying 40 capsizes in river Ganga in Patna; many still missing
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: What characteristics define a true leader?
- Tourists flock to Manali as snowfall takes a short break
- My father wanted me to be a man of character: Navjot Singh Siddhu
- Assembly elections: BJP likely to announce its first list of candidates for UP, Uttarakhand
- Abhishek Bachchan reveals the moment when Aishwarya Rai said 'yes' to him
- India vs England, 1st ODI: As it happened...
- India vs England, Pune ODI: MS Dhoni still the boss; convinces Virat Kohli with spot on DRS call — WATCH
- India vs England, 1st ODI: Ravichandran Aswhin steals the show with huge six — WATCH
- Petrol price hiked by 42 paisa per litre, diesel by Rs 1.03 a litre