Boston suspect ‘became more radical after trip to Russia`
Washington: Tamerlan Tsarnaev, one of the brothers involved in the Boston bombing Marathon, left the country recently and returned a radically different man, according to a friend.
The friend, who asked to remain anonymous, said Tsarnaev, 26, had disappeared for a while and when he returned, he was noticeably more religious.
According to the New York Daily News, he also appeared to be influencing his younger brother, Dzhokhar, in that direction, too.
WNBC-TV reported on Friday that Tamerlan was out of the country for about six months last year. He left for Russia via Kennedy Airport in January 2012 and returned in July.
Family and friends have also said that they saw a dramatic rise in Tamerlan`s religious fervor dating to 2009 - and that he only got more radical as time passed.
The Russian government even warned the FBI about Tamerlan in 2011 "based on information that he was a follower of radical Islam and a strong believer."
Some who knew Dzhokhar saw signs the older brother`s radicalization was affecting his younger sibling.
The 19-year-old college student had always been focused on schoolwork and his grades - although he did like to party - said a friend who has known him for several years.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Revealed - How Indian Army hit terror camps across LoC!
- Pak forces will teach Zee News what real surgical strike is: Hafiz Saeed
- DNA: Indian Army carries out surgical strikes across LoC
- India used 'Cartosat 2c' satellite in surgical strikes against Pakistan
- Panel discussion on Hafiz Saeed's reaction after Indian Army surgical strikes
- Hafiz Saeed threatens Zee News, says Pak forces will teach what real surgical strikes are
- Pak postpones SAARC Summit after five member states pull out of conference: As it happened
- After threatening Zee News, Hafiz Saeed says PM Modi, Ajit Doval staged `surgical strike drama'
- India's surgical strikes: Pakistan buries slain terrorists to hide evidence, asks Masood Azhar to go mum
- Who is Chandu Babulal Chauhan and why India wants to bring him back from Pakistan - Read