Boston suspect disrupted mosque on Martin Luther King Day
Boston: Tamerlan Tsarnaev, the older of two brothers suspected in the Boston Marathon blasts, had objected to a sermon at a Cambridge mosque in which the speaker compared the Prophet with civil rights leader Martin Luther King, a mosque official said.
Yusufi Vali, executive director of the Islamic Society of Boston, which runs the mosque, said 26-year-old Tsarnaev told the speaker, "You are a kafir [an unbeliever]," and said he was contaminating people`s minds and was a hypocrite.
Vali said, "The congregation then said, `You are the hypocrite.` The congregation shouted him out of the mosque."
The holiday named for the civil rights leader who advocated non-violent protest was about three months before the attacks on Marathon last week that killed three people.
Tsarnaev, who was killed during a gun battle with police on Friday, was allegedly joined in the bombing plot by his brother, Dzokhar, 19, who was captured on same day.
It was the second time that Tsarnaev had made an outburst during one of the speaker`s sermons, Vali was quoted as saying by the Boston Globe.
"There was nothing about it that would suggest that he would kill a person," Vali told the daily.
Vali said Tsarnaev "was just expressing his opinion about his belief" and it wasn?t seen as something that would rise to the level of alerting authorities.
Tsarnaev`s earlier outburst had come in November. He had started attending the mosque occasionally about a year ago, Vali added.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Highlights - India vs England 2nd ODI in Cuttack
- Donald Trump to be sworn in as 45th US President today
- Exclusive: Srinagar freezes at minus 3; common man struggles for basic commodities
- DNA: Manish Sisodia faces CBI probe over alleged irregularities in 'Talk To AK' programme
- Etah: School bus collides with truck, several children killed
- WATCH: MS Dhoni asks Jasprit Bumrah to go easy after he hurriedly ran out England skipper Eoin Morgan
- WATCH: How MS Dhoni saved Yuvraj Singh's wicket with another successful DRS review
- IND vs ENG, 2nd ODI: Yuvraj Singh silences critics with 14th ODI hundred, fourth against England — WATCH
- India vs England: After Virender Sehwag, Sachin Tendulkar gives Piers Morgan cricketing gyan
- Donald Trump's Inauguration Day: As it happened