Boston suspects planned to go to NY to party after attacks
  • This Section
  • Latest
  • Web Wrap
Last Updated: Thursday, April 25, 2013, 22:00
  
New York: The Chechen-origin Boston bombings suspects were headed to New York "to party" after the deadly attacks, city Police Commissioner Raymond Kelly has said.

The lone surviving suspect, 19-year-old Dzhokhar Tsarnaev, has told investigators from his Boston hospital bed that he and his brother Tamerlan Tsarnaev, 26, wanted to get some rest and recreation after the bombings, which killed three and injured over 200 others.

"The information that we received said something about partying or having a party," Kelly said, citing what Dzhokhar told investigators.

"The bit of information we have they may have been words to the effect of coming to party in New York," he was quoted by the New York Post as saying.

Dzhokhar's brother Tamerlan was pronounced dead last Friday after suffering shrapnel and bullet wounds in a gunfight with police. Dzhokhar was later arrested in connection with the bombings and is in the hospital recuperating from injuries.

Dzhokhar has been charged with conspiring to use "weapon of mass destruction" and faces death penalty.

Last Friday, the Tsarnaev brothers murdered an MIT police officer in Cambridge, Massachusetts, then hijacked a Mercedes-Benz SUV driven by a Chinese man whose ATM card they used to get some money.

The Boston Globe yesterday reported the man told the police that while the brothers trained guns on him, Tamerlan warned, "We just killed a cop. We blew up the marathon. And now, we're going to New York!"

Last week it had emerged that Dzhokhar partied with his friends, tweeted rap lyrics and lived a normal college life at the University of Massachusetts Dartmouth, after the deadly attacks.

PTI


First Published: Thursday, April 25, 2013, 22:00


Tag:
comments powered by Disqus