Botched circumcisions kill 33 in South Africa
Johannesburg: Thirty-three boys have died
from botched circumcisions conducted in traditional initiation
rites in South Africa, while scores more have ended up in
hospital with mutilated penises, a health official said on Thursday.
The deaths occurred in the Eastern Cape province, one of
the country`s poorest and among the few areas where boys are
still sent into secret schools in the bush for circumcisions
to mark their passage to manhood.
Provincial health spokesman Sizwe Kupelo told the Sapa
news agency that the latest death occurred in the village of
Moyeni, where authorities had recently paid a visit in hopes
of treating initiates with infections.
"What is upsetting is that last week, we went there and
the villagers hid these boys away. Now they are calling us
when this boy is dead," he said. "It`s very upsetting and
unnecessary, because we could have saved this boy."
The boy was also allegedly assaulted at the school before
being taken to a neighbour`s home, where he died early
Thursday, Kupelo said.
Scores of other boys were in hospital after circumcisions
gone wrong, with two gangrenous penises amputated in hospital
this week, he added.
The death toll prompted traditional leaders to declare a
moratorium on circumcisions in parts of the Eastern Cape last
Boys die every year from complications from botched
circumcisions by ill-trained traditional surgeons in rural
But they still flock to initiation schools in the bush,
because the faster and less painful medical method in hospital
can result in a lifetime of social rejection.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Vadodara: Policemen seen dancing with bar girls
- PM Modi speaks at Golden Jubilee celebrations of poet Dinkar’s works
- Zee Media Exclusive: Kangana, Madhavan talk about their film 'Tanu Weds Manu Returns'
- Coal scam: Naveen Jindal, Madhu Koda and others get bail
- One year of Modi govt: Arun Jaitley addresses press conference
- DNA: Harmful chemicals found in Maggi, Nestle India still in denial mode
- ISIS executes Syrian fighter using anti-tank rocket launcher
- CM Kejriwal shortlists 39 'unwanted' IAS officers in Delhi
- Zee Media Exclusive interview with Congress leader Kamal Nath
- Columbia student takes rape-protest mattress to graduation
- Mumbai: One injured in shootout at Film City
- DNA: Modi-led NDA govt's hits and misses in one year
- Delhi: Car catches fire after crash, one dead
- Gujjars revive agitation for 5% quota in jobs, block rail track
- Manthan: Expert's tips to avoid stomach gas, constipation
- Jayalalithaa makes public appearance, meets Governor: As it happened
- IPL 2015, Qualifier 2: CSK vs RCB - As it happened...
- India to soon have its own space shuttle!
- Tanu Weds Manu Returns movie review: Brilliant execution, superb performance!
- Kejriwal slams notification on LG's powers, says Modi running Delhi govt through back door
- Wbbse.org 10th Madhyamik Pariksha Results 2015: West Bengal Board (wbresults.nic.in) Class 10th, WB MP Results 2015 to be announced today shortly
- PM Narendra Modi graces Digvijay Singh's son wedding reception
- Manohar Parrikar meets troops at Siachen base camp
- Rahul Gandhi to pressurise govt to act on one-rank-one-pension issue
- Businessman shot next to Amitabh Bachchan's shooting location in Mumbai Film City
- West Bengal Board (wbbse.org & wbresults.nic.in) Class 10th Madhyamik Pariksha (MP) Results 2015 to be announced today at 10 AM
- Rajasthan Board RBSE 12th Inter Results 2015: BSER Ajmer (rajeduboard.nic.in & rajresults.nic.in) Senior Secondary Class 12th Science & Commerce Exam Results 2015 to be declared today at 2 PM
- RBSE 12th Results 2015 (rajeduboard.nic.in & rajresults.nic.in): Rajasthan Board BSER Ajmer Senior Secondary Class 12th XII Intermediate Science & Commerce Exam Results 2015 to be declared today on May 22
- After land bill, net neutrality, Rahul Gandhi to fight for ex-servicemen now
- CBSE 12th Results 2015: CBSE Board Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic class 12th XII board exam Results 2015 date announced