Boy in custody after handgun in backpack goes off in school
New York: A 5-year-old boy in the US has been taken into custody after he brought a handgun into a Tennessee elementary school and it went off in his backpack, officials said.
The boy was in the cafeteria of Westside Elementary School in Memphis when the pistol, stuffed in a backpack, suddenly fired one round yesterday, CBS News reported.
No one was hurt by the bullet.
The kindergartner, who was not immediately identified, was taken into police custody.
"This morning at Westside Elementary School, a kindergarten student brought a firearm to school in his backpack," Shelby County Schools said in a statement.
"While waiting for the opening bell in the cafeteria, the firearm discharged accidentally inside the child`s backpack. Nobody was injured and staff immediately took possession of the backpack."
The school said the incident is under investigation, but there was no immediate evidence that the boy intended to cause any harm to anyone.
However, the school said the child will be disciplined "in accordance with the state`s zero tolerance policy."
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is Akhilesh Yadav overlooking Muslims as Mulayam Singh alleged?
- DNA: Why did Navjot Singh Sidhu call BJP 'Kaikeyi’, Congress ‘Kaushalya’?
- 38-year-old arrested for ‘raping’ minors in Delhi; assaulted over 600 girls
- BJP announces 149 names in first list of candidates for UP elections
- My father wanted me to be a man of character: Navjot Singh Siddhu
- Geeta Phogat comes to rescue of Zaira Wasim; hits out at trolls, asks actress not to apologise
- ‘Dangal’ star Zaira Wasim says I am not a role model, not proud of what I am doing
- Assembly Elections: BJP releases list of 149 candidates for Uttar Pradesh, 64 for Uttarakhand
- Serial child rapist arrested in Delhi, says 'preyed on girls for sexual satisfaction, enjoyed it'
- China's NSG stand is neither fair nor transparent, says Defence Expert