Boy in custody after handgun in backpack goes off in school
New York: A 5-year-old boy in the US has been taken into custody after he brought a handgun into a Tennessee elementary school and it went off in his backpack, officials said.
The boy was in the cafeteria of Westside Elementary School in Memphis when the pistol, stuffed in a backpack, suddenly fired one round yesterday, CBS News reported.
No one was hurt by the bullet.
The kindergartner, who was not immediately identified, was taken into police custody.
"This morning at Westside Elementary School, a kindergarten student brought a firearm to school in his backpack," Shelby County Schools said in a statement.
"While waiting for the opening bell in the cafeteria, the firearm discharged accidentally inside the child`s backpack. Nobody was injured and staff immediately took possession of the backpack."
The school said the incident is under investigation, but there was no immediate evidence that the boy intended to cause any harm to anyone.
However, the school said the child will be disciplined "in accordance with the state`s zero tolerance policy."
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Jamaat-e-Islami chief announces Rs 100 cr reward for PM Modi's arrest
- DNA: Captain Saurabh Kalia's torture at the hands of Pakistani Army
- DNA: Govt tests Maggi noodle samples from all states
- Zee Media exclusive interview with victim of Uber molestation
- Jamaat-e-Islami chief announces Rs 1 billion reward for PM Modi's arrest
- Was asked to call Sunanda Pushkar’s death `natural`: AIIMS doctor
- Maggi row: Delhi registers case against Nestle, Kerala withdraws stock from govt stores
- From being the ‘Dabangg’ girl to ‘Akira’ - Sonakshi Sinha’s journey so far
- China ship carrying 458 on board sinks in Yangtze River: Five dead, hundreds missing