BP says committed to Rosneft despite US sanctions
Moscow: British energy group BP said on Monday it remained committed to its investment in Rosneft despite new sanctions imposed by the United States against the Russian oil giant`s chief executive Igor Sechin.
The powerful head of Russia`s largest oil company was one of seven senior officials named on a new list of US punitive measures aimed at punishing President Vladimir Putin`s stance on Ukraine.
Rosneft itself did not face any new restrictions. Washington`s measure freezes any holdings Sechin might have in the United States and bars him from entering the country.
BP said that it was studying what impact the US announcement might have on its 19.75-percent holding in the state-held company.
"We remain committed to our investment in Rosneft and intend to remain a successful long-term investor in Russia," the British firm said in a statement quoted by Russian news agencies.
"We are studying today`s announcement in order to understand what exactly it might mean for BP."
The British group boosted its holding in Rosneft after selling its half in the TNK-BP joint venture to the Russian firm last year.
The deal left BP head Robert Dudley holding a non-executive seat on the Rosneft board.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Ajinkya Rahane to captain India on Zimbabwe tour; Dhoni, Kohli rested
- Kejriwal knew Tomar possessed fake degree, says Yogendra Yadav
- Shiv Sena slams HC order banning erection of pandals on roads
- Top leader of NSCN(K) arrested for Manipur attacks by NIA
- Vijender Singh turns professional boxer, to miss 2016 Rio Olympics
- India vs Zimbabwe: Ajinkya Rahane to lead; MS Dhoni, Virat Kohli rested
- Tihar Jail's security breached: Lt Governor Najeeb Jung orders probe, Centre seeks report
- Chinese military research academy praises India's main battle tank Arjun, says it's 'very good'
- Gangster Abu Salem ready to tie the knot with girl seeking to marry him
- Vijender Singh brings down curtains on India career, turns professional