BP says committed to Rosneft despite US sanctions
Moscow: British energy group BP said on Monday it remained committed to its investment in Rosneft despite new sanctions imposed by the United States against the Russian oil giant`s chief executive Igor Sechin.
The powerful head of Russia`s largest oil company was one of seven senior officials named on a new list of US punitive measures aimed at punishing President Vladimir Putin`s stance on Ukraine.
Rosneft itself did not face any new restrictions. Washington`s measure freezes any holdings Sechin might have in the United States and bars him from entering the country.
BP said that it was studying what impact the US announcement might have on its 19.75-percent holding in the state-held company.
"We remain committed to our investment in Rosneft and intend to remain a successful long-term investor in Russia," the British firm said in a statement quoted by Russian news agencies.
"We are studying today`s announcement in order to understand what exactly it might mean for BP."
The British group boosted its holding in Rosneft after selling its half in the TNK-BP joint venture to the Russian firm last year.
The deal left BP head Robert Dudley holding a non-executive seat on the Rosneft board.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- ATM virus attack: Users of debit cards under threat!
- J&K govt suspends 12 officials on anti-national activities
- Security guard beats woman journalist publicly in Pakistan
- Bhubaneswar fire: Owner of SUM Hospital surrenders
- Pakistan violates ceasefire in J&K's Hiranagar; 7 Pak Rangers killed, BSF jawan injured
- MS Dhoni reacts in astonishment as Axar Patel takes a stunning one-handed catch - VIDEO
- BSP shrugs off Rita Bahuguna 's jump; says BJP will still face defeat in UP polls
- Navjot Singh Sidhu out on zero to Waqar Younis in 1990 – The match Kapil Sharma keeps talking about
- MS Dhoni or Virat Kohli? Here's Virender Sehwag's best ever reply
- Pierce Brosnan 'deeply shocked and saddened' because of Pan Masala brand ad