Bradley Manning was imprisoned illegally: US judge
London: A US military judge has ruled that Bradley Manning, the American soldier accused of handing hundreds of thousands of classified documents to WikiLeaks, was imprisoned under illegal conditions.
At a hearing on Tuesday, Colonel Denise Lind, the military judge, however, refused to dismiss charges against him.
Lawyers for Manning argued that he was abused during his nine months at a Marine Corps prison in Virginia and that his mistreatment should lead to the dismissal of the 22 charges against him.
According to the Telegraph, Colonel Lind, agreed that the treatment was "more rigorous than necessary", but ruled that Manning should receive only a 112-day reduction on an eventual prison sentence.
If convicted of the most serious charge, aiding the enemy, the young soldier could life imprisonment, the paper said.
According to the paper, David Coombs, Manning’s defence attorney, argued earlier in the hearing that his client had carefully selected which documents to leak in order to ensure that the disclosures did not endanger US national security.
Coombs claimed that his client’s selectiveness was proof he had no "evil intent" to harm America and tried to get online chat logs entered into evidence for Manning’s trial, which is due to begin March 6.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Divyansh's death not an accident, but a murder?
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: How realising the purpose of life gives you direction
- PM Modi visits Lord Jagannath temple at Puri
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: How realising the purpose of life gives you direction - Part II
- Boyfriend murders DU student Arzu Singh; hides body in his house for three days
- India brought Afghanistan athletes in chartered flight: Pakistan envoy impressed with SAG 2016
- PM Narendra Modi never disappoints his supporters, here's another example - see pic
- WATCH: When PM Modi took his supporters by surprise, came to meet them standing on car's side foot step
- Year of the Monkey: Know how lucky you are according to Chinese calendar!
- India vs Sri Lanka 2016, 1st T20I: Squads, date, time, TV listing, live streaming