Brazil judge sentences Twitter user
Sao Paulo: A federal judge has sentenced a former law student to 17 months in prison for using Twitter to incite prejudice and discrimination against people from Brazil`s impoverished northeast.
A court statement says that Judge Monica Camargo converted the sentence against Mayara Petruso to community service and a fine of about USD 250.
Petruso`s 2010 Twitter message urged people to kill northeastern Brazilians in reprisal for Dilma Rousseff`s victory in that year`s Presidential Election.
Rousseff enjoyed wide support in the northeast and won a majority of the votes there.
Residents of Brazil`s wealthier south often look down on people from the poorer northeast.
The statement says Petruso acknowledged she posted the message because Rousseff won the election.
The court says Petruso can appeal the ruling. Calls to her attorneys went unanswered.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Security guard beats woman journalist publicly in Pakistan
- Pakistan violates ceasefire in J&K's Hiranagar; 7 Pak Rangers killed, BSF jawan injured
- ISIS terrorists escape Mosul disguised in women's clothing
- DNA: Analysing the existing poor condition of Indian education system
- DNA: Pakistan violates ceasefire in J&K's Hiranagar; Seven Pak Rangers killed
- MS Dhoni reacts in astonishment as Axar Patel takes a stunning one-handed catch - VIDEO
- Navjot Singh Sidhu out on zero to Waqar Younis in 1990 – The match Kapil Sharma keeps talking about
- BSP shrugs off Rita Bahuguna 's jump; says BJP will still face defeat in UP polls
- MS Dhoni or Virat Kohli? Here's Virender Sehwag's best ever reply
- Sushant Singh Rajput’s former girlfriend Ankita Lokhande’s Karva Chauth photos will surprise you