Brazil may buy Russian anti-aircraft weaponry
Moscow: The Brazilian defence ministry intends to discuss purchasing air defence systems from Russia during talks with Russian Prime Minister Dmitry Medvedev later this month, the ministry said Sunday.
"We are interested in acquiring three batteries of Pantsir-S1 missiles and two batteries of Igla missiles," General Jose Carlos De Nardi, head of the Joint Chiefs of Staff of the Brazilian Armed Forces, said in a statement.
The possible purchase of Russian anti-aircraft weaponry will be discussed during Medvedev`s visit to Brazil scheduled for the end of February, he said.
An agreement, if signed, would envisage the construction of a factory in Brazil and the transfer of technologies, he said.
The Pantsir-S, produced by Russia`s KBP, is a gun-missile system combining a wheeled vehicle mounting a fire-control radar and electro-optical sensor, two 30-mm cannons and up to 12 57E6 radio-command guided short-range missiles, and is designed to take on a variety of targets flying at low altitudes.
The Pantsir can reportedly engage targets up to 20 km by missiles and four km using cannons.
The export version of the system, Pantsir-S1, has been sold to the United Arab Emirates, Syria and Algeria.
The Igla is a Russian man-portable infrared homing surface-to-air missile.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Turkey has the right to defend its airspace, says Obama
- J&K: Terrorists attack Army camp at Tangdhar near LoC
- Proud to be an Indian, no plans to leave the country, says Aamir Khan
- Rahul Gandhi's embarrassment in front of Bengaluru college students
- Panel discussion on Aamir Khan's ignorance on Kashmiri Pandits
- Intolerance issue: Proud to be Indian, won't leave country, says Aamir Khan
- Watch: Chicago cop shoots a 17-year-old black man 16 times
- Army camp attacked in J&K's Kupwara; three JeM terrorists, one civilian killed
- WATCH: Rahul Gandhi asks 'Is Swachh Bharat working', Mount Carmel girls yell 'Yessss'
- Aamir Khan's 12-day mystery: From lauding Modi's 'positive India' to dubbing India as 'intolerant'