Brazil nightclub owner blames inspectors for fire
Santa Maria: A lawyer representing the owner of the nightclub in southern Brazil where 235 people died in a fire last weekend says his client "regrets it very much" but insisted he was only partly to blame.
Attorney Jader Marques says club co-owner Elissandro Spohr called the tragedy "a succession of errors made by the whole country."
Speaking to the Associated Press by phone today, Marques said "my client`s responsibility is having trusted too much in the inspectors and in those responsible for the construction."
Police say the early Sunday blaze at the Kiss nightclub appears to have started when a band lit flares, which ignited inflammable foam on the ceiling.
Police also say the fire extinguisher was faulty and the club had no sprinklers nor a working emergency exit.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Security guard beats woman journalist publicly in Pakistan
- Pakistan violates ceasefire in J&K's Hiranagar; 7 Pak Rangers killed, BSF jawan injured
- ISIS terrorists escape Mosul disguised in women's clothing
- DNA: Analysing the existing poor condition of Indian education system
- DNA: Pakistan violates ceasefire in J&K's Hiranagar; Seven Pak Rangers killed
- Navjot Singh Sidhu out on zero to Waqar Younis in 1990 – The match Kapil Sharma keeps talking about
- MS Dhoni reacts in astonishment as Axar Patel takes a stunning one-handed catch - VIDEO
- BSP shrugs off Rita Bahuguna 's jump; says BJP will still face defeat in UP polls
- MS Dhoni or Virat Kohli? Here's Virender Sehwag's best ever reply
- Sushant Singh Rajput’s former girlfriend Ankita Lokhande’s Karva Chauth photos will surprise you