Brazil police arrest suspects in Amazon killings
Sao Paulo: Police in Brazil say they have arrested two men suspected in the killings of two Amazon activists earlier this year.
Authorities say brothers Jose Rodrigues Moreira and Lindonjonson Silva Rocha were found hiding on Sunday in a rural area of Para state.
Para is where activists Jose Claudio Ribeiro da Silva and his wife, Maria, were killed in May while trying to help landless families.
A judge ordered the men`s arrest in July based on evidence presented by police and prosecutors. They had been fugitives since then.
The watchdog group Catholic Land Pastoral says more than 1,150 rural activists have been killed in Brazil over the past 20 years. It says the slayings are mostly carried out by gunmen working for loggers, ranchers and farmers.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Trump-Sharif conversation: Team Donald denies Pakistan's claims
- Rahul Gandhi's and Congress' Twitter accounts hacked: Who's behind it?
- Rahul Gandhi's Twitter handle hacked again
- Hizbul commander Musa issues threats of attacks in new video
- Panel discussion over Mamata Banerjee's false allegations on Indian Army for political gains
- Gujarat businessman declares highest ever black money amount – Rs 13,000 crore!
- Army proves Mamata Banerjee wrong, releases letter showing West Bengal govt knew of exercise
- Rs 4.7 crore cash in Rs 2000 notes! Biggest seizure in new currency post demonetisation - What I-T recovered from Bengaluru, Chennai and Erode
- Manohar Parrikar exposes Mamata's attempt to politicise routine Army exercise in Kolkata
- Scam? 'Aam Aadmi Party using Delhi Transport Corporation to exchange Rs 500, Rs 1,000 notes'