Brazil police arrest suspects in Amazon killings
Sao Paulo: Police in Brazil say they have arrested two men suspected in the killings of two Amazon activists earlier this year.
Authorities say brothers Jose Rodrigues Moreira and Lindonjonson Silva Rocha were found hiding on Sunday in a rural area of Para state.
Para is where activists Jose Claudio Ribeiro da Silva and his wife, Maria, were killed in May while trying to help landless families.
A judge ordered the men`s arrest in July based on evidence presented by police and prosecutors. They had been fugitives since then.
The watchdog group Catholic Land Pastoral says more than 1,150 rural activists have been killed in Brazil over the past 20 years. It says the slayings are mostly carried out by gunmen working for loggers, ranchers and farmers.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Analysis of public pulse through survey by Zee News on Bihar elections
- DNA: End of ISIS? Vladimir Putin to send 1,50,000 soldiers to Syria
- Russia surprises America with accord on battling ISIS
- Panel discussion on Muslim vote bank in Bihar elections
- Bihar polls: Lalu's younger son claims to be older than elder brother
- India vs South Africa: How cricket fraternity reacted to crowd's disgraceful behaviour at Cuttack
- Salman Khan, Aamir Khan's friendship turns sour? Here's the truth
- BJP-led NDA predicted to win 147 seats in Bihar Assembly Elections: Survey
- Can Lalu Prasad Yadav's elder son Tej be less in age than younger son Tejaswi?
- Dadri lynching: Any threat to secular fabric of country would not be tolerated, says Rajnath Singh