Brazil police arrest suspects in Amazon killings
Sao Paulo: Police in Brazil say they have arrested two men suspected in the killings of two Amazon activists earlier this year.
Authorities say brothers Jose Rodrigues Moreira and Lindonjonson Silva Rocha were found hiding on Sunday in a rural area of Para state.
Para is where activists Jose Claudio Ribeiro da Silva and his wife, Maria, were killed in May while trying to help landless families.
A judge ordered the men`s arrest in July based on evidence presented by police and prosecutors. They had been fugitives since then.
The watchdog group Catholic Land Pastoral says more than 1,150 rural activists have been killed in Brazil over the past 20 years. It says the slayings are mostly carried out by gunmen working for loggers, ranchers and farmers.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- 'Baahubali' becomes first non-Hindi film to cross Rs 500 crore
- Washington Mayor calls Michelle Obama 'gorilla face', says 'she is attractive only to monkey man Barack'
- 'Bajrangi Bhaijaan' impact: Govt agrees to help deaf-and-dumb Indian girl stranded in Pakistan
- Ban on internet porn: Here's why it is impossible
- Govt doesn't want you to even watch porn in private, blocks over 800 sites