Brazil police mistake Bible for gun and kill man
Sao Paulo: Law enforcement officials say a police officer in southeastern Brazil shot and killed a garbage collector after mistaking the Bible he was carrying for a gun.
State Police Major Mauricio Jose Raimundo today told reporters that Antonio Marcos dos Santos was stopped by police as he was heading to church in the city of Avare.
When he raised his hands a police officer saw a bulge in his pocket and thinking it was a weapon opened fire.
The police officer will remain in detention pending the outcome of an investigation.
The incident occurred Wednesday evening.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Analysis on actions taken against students protesting at JNU
- DNA: Analysis on actions taken against students protesting at JNU - Part II
- Watch: How students at JNU showcased anti-India spirit! - Part II
- DNA: Gravitational waves detected, proving Einstein right!
- Watch: How students at JNU showcased anti-India spirit!
- Ex-Army officers threaten to return JNU degrees against 'anti-national' activities in campus
- Delhi Police issues alert over alleged Hafiz Saeed's tweet backing 'pro-Pak' JNU protesters
- Really? Is this why Deepika Padukone not open about her alleged relationship with Ranveer Singh?
- Congress leader from Gujarat conspired to implicate Narendra Modi in Ishrat Jahan case: Ex-IB officer
- JNU row: Congress VP meets protesting students; ABVP raises black flags, shout "Rahul Gandhi Go Back"