Brazil police probe virginity auctions
Brasilia: Brazilian police are investigating allegations about "virginity auctions" in the northeastern state of Alagoas, Agencia Estado news service said on Wednesday.
Two women are facing charges for sexual exploitation of minors in connection with the case.
Authorities began the probe after one of the girls who took part in parties organised by the suspects at bars in Alagoas revealed the virginity auctions in a television interview.
The parties took place at bars in União dos Palmares, a country town about 80 km from Maceio, the state capital.
"They were very big blowouts and there was nothing off-limits," the girl told TV Pajucara, adding that she saw local politicians and land barons at the parties.
Bidders in the virginity auctions preferred girls between the ages of 10 and 16, the girl said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is Akhilesh Yadav overlooking Muslims as Mulayam Singh alleged?
- DNA: Why did Navjot Singh Sidhu call BJP 'Kaikeyi’, Congress ‘Kaushalya’?
- 38-year-old arrested for ‘raping’ minors in Delhi; assaulted over 600 girls
- BJP announces 149 names in first list of candidates for UP elections
- My father wanted me to be a man of character: Navjot Singh Siddhu
- Geeta Phogat comes to rescue of Zaira Wasim; hits out at trolls, asks actress not to apologise
- ‘Dangal’ star Zaira Wasim says I am not a role model, not proud of what I am doing
- Assembly Elections: BJP releases list of 149 candidates for Uttar Pradesh, 64 for Uttarakhand
- Serial child rapist arrested in Delhi, says 'preyed on girls for sexual satisfaction, enjoyed it'
- China's NSG stand is neither fair nor transparent, says Defence Expert