Brazil police probe virginity auctions
Brasilia: Brazilian police are investigating allegations about "virginity auctions" in the northeastern state of Alagoas, Agencia Estado news service said on Wednesday.
Two women are facing charges for sexual exploitation of minors in connection with the case.
Authorities began the probe after one of the girls who took part in parties organised by the suspects at bars in Alagoas revealed the virginity auctions in a television interview.
The parties took place at bars in União dos Palmares, a country town about 80 km from Maceio, the state capital.
"They were very big blowouts and there was nothing off-limits," the girl told TV Pajucara, adding that she saw local politicians and land barons at the parties.
Bidders in the virginity auctions preferred girls between the ages of 10 and 16, the girl said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- PM Narendra Modi holds talks with Uzbek leader
- Shahid Kapoor marriage: 500 guests have been invited for the wedding, says card designer
- Pakistan violates ceasefire in J&K, one BSF jawan killed in Kupwara
- Mass failure in DU exam: HRD Minister Smriti Irani asks officials to enquire
- Vyapam scam: Congress accuses MP CM of 'misleading' people, demands his resignation