Brazil priest breaks news of fatherhood during mass
Rio de Janeiro: A priest in northeastern Brazil stunned his parishioners by announcing during mass that he would soon become the father of a little girl and leave the priesthood.
Father Geronimo Moreira, from the small town of Gaviao in Bahia state, said he fell in love with a local girl and got her pregnant.
"With time we noticed that our friendship had something more: love, but we always sought to leave it at the level of friendship," the 32-year-old priest said in a letter he read to the faithful during mass last Sunday.
"I said that if I could not keep my vow of celibacy, I would first leave the priesthood so as not to create a scandal in the community," he said.
"Things did not turn out as I had expected and we developed a concrete relationship, and today she is pregnant and I want to assume paternity," he told the G1 news website.
Moreira met the young lady, who is now 23, in 2007 when he was still at seminary.
He told G1 that after the announcement "I was very emotional and cried a lot, and virtually the entire congregation cried as well."
The couple plan to have a Catholic wedding, but this will require permission from Pope Francis, who visited Brazil in late July to attend World Youth Day.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- PM Narendra Modi's speech at Heart of Asia conference
- Is population control next on central govt's agenda after demonetization?
- Gujarat: Goods train engine catches fire in Surat
- India-Afghanistan thrash Pakistan over terrorism issue in Heart of Asia conference
- Watch: Tracing the journey of Tamil Nadu CM Jayalalithaa from films to politics
- RIP Amma: Jayalalithaa dies after 75 days in hospital; Tamil Nadu mourns
- Fake or Real? 'Alien animal' caught on Karnataka-Kerala border
- Tamil Nadu CM Jayalalithaa's condition continues to remain critical after suffering cardiac arrest
- I-T department rejects declaration of Rs 2,00,000 crore made under IDS by Mumbai family