Brazil protesters march against bus fare hike
Rio De Janeiro: Hundreds of protesters are demonstrating in Rio de Janeiro`s streets against a 10-cent hike in bus fares.
Some roads in the center of Rio, which will serve as the 2016 Olympic city, were blocked last night as demonstrators carried banners calling for a reversal of the fare hike, along with more investments in education and health care.
Brazilians frustrated with woeful public services despite a high tax burden in June launched massive anti-governments protests around the country.
Their anger has also been stoked by the billions being spent to host this year`s World Cup and the Rio Olympics.
The protests have dwindled in size in recent months. But they remain violent with frequent clashes between police and demonstrators.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Cabinet meeting on 7th Pay Commission may approve higher salaries for govt employees
- Cabinet meeting on 7th Pay Commission may approve higher salaries for govt employees - Part II
- Monsoon havoc: Delhi lacks proper drainage system
- SC rejects plea seeking ban on WhatsApp messaging app
- 7th Pay Commission: Cabinet approves pay hike for govt employees