Brazil rains: 8,000 left homeless
Brasilia: Rains that battered Brazil`s southern coast in the past week have left 8,000 people homeless and vast areas without electricity and potable water, officials said.
The state of Parana has been most affected, with people facing water and electricity shortages, emergency management officials said in a report.
Mudslides caused by heavy downpour blocked some national highways, and firefighters were working to restore the flow of traffic.
One person buried in a rain-triggered mudslide in Parana has been the lone fatality so far in the state, but authorities said the number could rise.
In Rio Grande do Sul state, bordering Parana, eight people have died in floods.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is population control next on central govt's agenda after demonetization?
- Gujarat: Goods train engine catches fire in Surat
- Tamil Nadu CM Jayalalithaa's condition extremely grave
- Jayalalithaa's funeral procession: Sea of mourners gather to pay last respects
- Watch: Tracing the journey of late Tamil Nadu CM Jayalalithaa from films to politics
- RIP Amma: Jayalalithaa dies after 75 days in hospital; Tamil Nadu mourns
- Fake or Real? 'Alien animal' caught on Karnataka-Kerala border
- RBI to issue new Rs 100 banknotes, old notes to continue as legal tender
- Airtel’s free 4G internet offer may be a ploy to steal your data
- People want to know whether Jayalalithaa is alive or not; PM Narendra Modi must intervene, says expelled AIADMK MP Sasikala Pushpa