Brazil removes diplomats from Syria
Brasilia: Brazil`s Foreign Ministry says it has removed nearly all diplomats from its embassy in Syria because of heavy fighting there.
The ministry says in an e-mailed statement today that the diplomats are now stationed in Beirut.
The ministry emphasised it`s not closing the embassy. It says a diplomat remains in Damascus to attend to any Brazilians in the Middle Eastern country.
Fighting between government troops and rebels has been raging in Syria`s capital Damascus, with hundreds being killed in recent days.
Brazil has a large and influential expatriate Syrian community, mostly in Sao Paulo, South America`s largest city.
The first Syrian immigrants arrived toward the end of the 18th century and established themselves in business, medicine and academics.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- SC intervenes into Khap panchayat's rape order of two UP sisters, seeks report from Akhilesh govt
- Furkan, not Tiger Memon, arrested in Pakistan
- Sheena Bora murder case: Peter Mukerjea's statement recorded, police search his Worli residence
- Sonakshi Sinha silences Twitter troll for calling her ugly and it's epic!
- Is it Hardik Patel in this viral MMS Sex Video?