Brazil removes diplomats from Syria
Brasilia: Brazil`s Foreign Ministry says it has removed nearly all diplomats from its embassy in Syria because of heavy fighting there.
The ministry says in an e-mailed statement today that the diplomats are now stationed in Beirut.
The ministry emphasised it`s not closing the embassy. It says a diplomat remains in Damascus to attend to any Brazilians in the Middle Eastern country.
Fighting between government troops and rebels has been raging in Syria`s capital Damascus, with hundreds being killed in recent days.
Brazil has a large and influential expatriate Syrian community, mostly in Sao Paulo, South America`s largest city.
The first Syrian immigrants arrived toward the end of the 18th century and established themselves in business, medicine and academics.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: Yogi Adityanath's first speech as Uttar Pradesh CM in Gorakhpur
- What Hindu saints think about Ram Mandir issue?
- Yogi Adityanath to visit Gorakhpur for first time today after becoming UP CM
- Amit Shah addresses BJP's mega convention in Delhi
- DNA: Analysing the 'no first use' nuclear policy of India
- WATCH: Skipper Virat Kohli carries drinks for Team India
- Know how to link your PAN card with Aadhaar card – Here is the step by step explanation
- WATCH: Tom Latham takes IMPOSSIBLE catch to dismiss Faf du Plessis
- Mohanlal's 'Manyam Puli' has a BREATHTAKING scene where TIGER attacks a boy! WATCH 'Pulimurugan' clip
- Kapil Sharma-Sunil Grover fight: Will it be a shutdown for 'The Kapil Sharma Show'?