Brazil senate chief to repay `hair transplant` flight
Brasilia: The president of Brazil`s senate, Renan Calheiros, will repay the cost of using an Air Force jet for a trip during which he reportedly had a hair transplant, his spokesman said on Tuesday.
"The President is to repay the costs of this flight. He is waiting for the Air Force to calculate the bill before doing so," he said. "I don`t know if the President has had a hair transplant."
The Folha de Sao Paulo newspaper had reported that Calheiros had flown 1,980 kilometres from Brasilia to Recife to have 10,000 hairs implanted while purportedly on a business trip.
And the paper recalled that he had also used an air force jet to travel to a wedding in the northeastern city of Salvador, resulting in his having to pick up a tab of USD 14,000.
In a country where many see the political class as corrupt, Calheiros says that Congress has cut spending in response to the public protests which swept the country last June.
"Austerity in the senate showed it is possible to do more with less," Calheiros said in a speech yesterday, insisting politicians had listened to the "voice of the street”.
In June, when protests erupted against corruption, Calheiros was one of the main symbolic targets of thousands of demonstrators, who demanded he leave office.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Kalam's advisor recalls his last moments with the great scientist
- To Sir with Love: School kids pay tribute to Dr Kalam
- DNA: Complete analysis of APJ Abdul Kalam's life and achievements
- India mourns APJ Abdul Kalam; PM to receive body at Palam airport
- Kalam's body flown to Delhi; PM, Prez lead nation in paying homage
- When UN declared Dr APJ Abdul Kalam's 79th birthday as World Students' Day
- SC hearing on 1993 Mumbai blasts convict Yakub Memon's curative plea
- India's 'original rocket man': Abdul Kalam's phenomenal contribution to Science
- Parliament pays tributes to Dr APJ Abdul Kalam, calls him 'real gem' of India
- Ready to see Shah Rukh-Salman together on-screen?