Brazil senator proposes Edward Snowden for Nobel peace award
Braslia: A Brazilian senator has nominated fugitive US intelligence leaker Edward Snowden for this year`s Nobel Peace Prize, her office said.
Communist Party Senator Vanessa Grazziotin, head of a panel investigating US eavesdropping operations, says Snowden`s leaks had contributed to world peace.
In a statement released by her press service yesterday she said Snowden, currently in hiding in Russia, helped to contribute to a more "stable and peaceful world" and she had proposed him to the Nobel committee.
"We are convinced that Mr Snowden`s actions, more than those of any other individual, contributed to a more stable and peaceful future," said Grazziotin.
"By exposing electronic eavesdropping of citizens of the world, Snowden restored the basic principle of democratic transparency," Grazziotin said in her statement, seen by AFP.
Former Norwegian minister Baard Vegar Solhjell and Swedish sociology professor Stefan Svallfors have also in recent months proposed Snowden receive the peace accolade for his efforts.
The deadline for candidates closed on February 1.
Brazil was at the forefront of countries criticizing US surveillance which extended to the office of President Dilma Rousseff.
Rousseff canceled a planned October visit to the United States in protest after first denouncing the eavesdropping by an ally in a speech at the United Nations.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: APJ Abdul Kalam's last journey, India bids a tearful adieu
- DNA : Justice delivered; India hangs 1993 Mumbai blasts convict Yakub Memon
- 'People's President' APJ Abdul Kalam laid to rest in Rameswaram
- Shashi Tharoor condems Yakub Memon's hanging
- Robert Vadra explains Facebook post, denies insulting Parliament
- Yakub Memon: The two men who lead police to 'House of Memons'
- Why did you choose Smriti Irani as HRD minister? Congress leader asks PM Narendra Modi
- Meeting called by Speaker fails to end Parliament logjam; government indicates all-party meet
- Rajnath slams UPA for coining 'Hindu terrorists', Congress accuses BJP of playing politics on terror
- Cristiano Ronaldo great, but Lionel Messi is greatest: Xavi Hernandez