Brazil the 6th most murderous country in world
Brasilia: Brazil is the sixth most murderous country in a list of 100 nations around the world, according to a new study sponsored by the government and released on Thursday.
The Latin American nation – which will host the 2014 World Cup and the 2016 Olympic Games – trails only El Salvador, Colombia, Venezuela, Guatemala and the Virgin Islands for the number of homicides proportional to its population, said the report carried out by the Sangari Institute.
More than half a million Brazilians were murdered between 1998 and 2008, the year of the last census.
Most of the victims were young people aged 15 to 24, and two-thirds were of African descent and one-third of white European descent.
The proportion of slain youths went from 30 per 100,000 residents in 1998 to 52.9 in 2008, the study said, calling the preponderance of young murder victims an "epidemic”.
Brazil`s Justice Minister Jose Eduardo Cardozo said his country`s high murder rate, which was just ahead of Russia`s, could be cut by stepping up campaigns to reduce the large number of firearms in circulation.
"The numbers show that when guns are given up, the murder index drops," he said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Discussion over BJP's enormous victory in Maharashtra civic polls
- UP polls: Top 5 highlights of PM Modi's speech in Bahraich
- BMC elections 2017: Who will be the Mayor of Mumbai?
- NASA discovers seven Earth-like planets orbiting a single star
- BMC election results 2017: Shiv Sena ahead as single largest party
- Reliance Jio Vs Airtel free data plan: A comparison
- BMC election 2017 results: As it happened
- Maharashtra Civic Poll Results 2017: As it happened on Thursday
- WATCH: When Matthew Renshaw left everybody surprised by 'retiring ill' on Day 1 of India-England Test
- World's heaviest woman loses 50 kilos in just 12 days