Brazilian helicopters arrive for Colombia hostages
Villavicencio: Two Brazilian helicopters arrived in Colombia on Saturday in the first stage of a mission to pick up two hostage soldiers who FARC guerrillas plan to hand over next week.
The FARC, or Revolutionary Armed Forces of Colombia, will release two of the 24 police and soldiers it holds to leftist Senator Piedad Cordoba and a Red Cross team who will fly into the country`s southern jungles on Sunday and again on Tuesday.
Pablo Emilio Moncayo, held for more than 12 years, and Josue Daniel Calvo were to be freed a year ago, but the handover was delayed as rebels and President Alvaro Uribe`s government disagreed over conditions for their release.
"We`ll set off around 7 am tomorrow to the handover point," Cordoba told reporters.
Calvo is set to be released on Sunday and Moncayo on Tuesday.
The two helicopters arrived from Brazil to Villavicencio, 43 miles south of Bogota. The Army has suspended military operations in the area of the handover.
The FARC has released captives in the past, but talks to end Latin America`s oldest-surviving insurgency have never been held with Uribe, whose US-backed war has battered rebels to their weakest in decades.
Once a powerful army, the FARC relies now on ambushes and bombs to harass troops in their four-decade-old war on the state. Rebels finance their operations with cocaine trafficking, kidnapping and extortion.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian Army conducts surgical strikes across LoC: Watch DGMO Lt Gen Ranbir Singh's PC
- Indian Army targets terror camps across LoC; Pak PM Sharif condemns
- 7 terror camps destroyed by Indian Army in surgical strikes
- DNA: Indian Army carries out surgical strikes across LoC
- Pak forces will teach Zee News what real surgical strike is: Hafiz Saeed
- Hafiz Saeed threatens Zee News, says Pak forces will teach what real surgical strikes are
- What is surgical strike and how it is conducted - MUST KNOW for every Indian
- Pak postpones SAARC Summit after five member states pull out of conference: As it happened
- SALUTE! Brave Indian army commandos give befitting reply to Pak-sponsored terrorists
- Surgical strikes across LoC in Pakistan were filmed, videos kept as proof