Brazilian junta financed Chile`s Pinochet, show documents
Sao Paulo: Secret documents dating from Brazil`s 1964-85 military government reveal that the junta gave loans amounting to $115 million to the regime of Chilean dictator Gen Augusto Pinochet, Folha de Sao Paulo newspaper said on Tuesday.
The files indicate that the money was lent to Pinochet`s government on "especially" favourable terms and was destined for the purchase of military equipment, the daily said.
An Oct 26, 1976, report marked "Secret" says that Brazil provided "important aid" to the Pinochet regime.
The then-secretary of the National Security Council, Gustavo Moraes Rego Reis, discussed in a Nov 9, 1978, message to military President Ernesto Geisel the division of the payments and added that the initial authorization for the loans dated to November 1974, a year after Pinochet`s military coup.
The loans were aimed at providing a "guarantee for (Chile`s internal security)", according to the documents.
Folha gained access to the documents in accord with Brazil`s freedom of information law, signed by President Dilma Rousseff in 2011.
The law regulates access to all public documents and only allows information of a personal nature or that concerning national security to be kept secret.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Rajasthan: Gujjars revive reservation agitation, block rail track
- J Jayalalithaa sworn-in as Chief Minister of Tamil Nadu
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: Aspiring for more than what you have!
- ISIS to buy first nuclear weapon from Pak?
- Mumbai: CCTV captures assailant with gun at Film City
- Mathura SSP receives death threat letter, message for PM Modi
- BJP now central pole of Indian politics: Arun Jaitley
- Maharashtra FDA sends Maggi noodles for lab testing
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 7:30pm
- Haridwar: Hotel Radisson Blu sealed for polluting Ganga
- Delhi: Two killed in road accident in New Ashok Nagar
- Reservation issue: Police register case against Bainsla, 20 others
- Girl in Punjab's Pathankot quit studies for fear of eve-teasing
- Special: Furious over rising water crisis, people take to the streets
- Fiji: Floating island restaurant in middle of ocean
- Goa Board SSC Exam Results 2015 announced
- ISIS close to buying nuclear weapon from Pakistan?
- Manohar Parrikar visits forward areas along LoC, reviews security situation
- Credibility of Prime Minister's Office restored by BJP, says Arun Jaitley
- There will be no delay in appointing CIC, CVC: Jitendra Singh
- ISIS justifies raping slave girls, says Michelle Obama is 'worth $40'
- 'Unhappy' Celina Jaitley asks Sunny Leone to move out?
- IPL 2015 Final: Mumbai Indians vs Chennai Super Kings - Preview
- Arvind Kejriwal to highlight AAP govt's 100 days work on Monday
- BJP's plan for one-year celebration: 200 big rallies, 5,000 public meetings
- CBSE Results 2015: 10th board exam results to be declared on May 27
- IPL 8 Final: We need to be at our best against Mumbai, says Michael Hussey
- Heatwave leaves 153 dead in Telangana, Andhra Pradesh
- Jayalalithaa returns as Tamil Nadu CM: As it happened