Brazilian junta financed Chile`s Pinochet, show documents
Sao Paulo: Secret documents dating from Brazil`s 1964-85 military government reveal that the junta gave loans amounting to $115 million to the regime of Chilean dictator Gen Augusto Pinochet, Folha de Sao Paulo newspaper said on Tuesday.
The files indicate that the money was lent to Pinochet`s government on "especially" favourable terms and was destined for the purchase of military equipment, the daily said.
An Oct 26, 1976, report marked "Secret" says that Brazil provided "important aid" to the Pinochet regime.
The then-secretary of the National Security Council, Gustavo Moraes Rego Reis, discussed in a Nov 9, 1978, message to military President Ernesto Geisel the division of the payments and added that the initial authorization for the loans dated to November 1974, a year after Pinochet`s military coup.
The loans were aimed at providing a "guarantee for (Chile`s internal security)", according to the documents.
Folha gained access to the documents in accord with Brazil`s freedom of information law, signed by President Dilma Rousseff in 2011.
The law regulates access to all public documents and only allows information of a personal nature or that concerning national security to be kept secret.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Trump-Sharif conversation: Team Donald denies Pakistan's claims
- Rahul Gandhi's and Congress' Twitter accounts hacked: Who's behind it?
- Rahul Gandhi's Twitter handle hacked again
- Hizbul commander Musa issues threats of attacks in new video
- Panel discussion over Mamata Banerjee's false allegations on Indian Army for political gains
- Gujarat businessman declares highest ever black money amount – Rs 13,000 crore!
- Army proves Mamata Banerjee wrong, releases letter showing West Bengal govt knew of exercise
- Rs 4.7 crore cash in Rs 2000 notes! Biggest seizure in new currency post demonetisation - What I-T recovered from Bengaluru, Chennai and Erode
- Manohar Parrikar exposes Mamata's attempt to politicise routine Army exercise in Kolkata
- Scam? 'Aam Aadmi Party using Delhi Transport Corporation to exchange Rs 500, Rs 1,000 notes'