Brazil`s defence minister quits in comment flap
Brasilia: Brazilian Defence Minister Nelson Jobim resigned late Thursday after a newspaper said he had criticised two Cabinet colleagues, becoming the third Cabinet member to quit since the administration took office January 01.
Communications Minister Helena Chagas said Jobim submitted his resignation to President Dilma Rousseff and would be replaced by former foreign minister Celso Amorim.
Earlier this year, Cabinet chief Antonio Palocci resigned amid questions over how his personal wealth soared while he was a legislator in 2006-10, and Transportation Minister Alfredo Nascimento stepped down following allegations of corruption in his agency.
Jobim`s resignation came after the newspaper Folha de S Paulo published extracts of an interview that the defence minister gave to Piaui magazine. The issue of the magazine with the full interview was to go on sale on Friday.
Jobim reportedly called Institutional Relations Minister Ideli Salvatti "weak" and said Cabinet chief Gleisi Hoffmann "doesn`t even know Brasilia”, the nation`s capital.
Jobim released a statement denying he criticised his fellow ministers, calling it "part of a game of intrigues" against him.
He was appointed by the previous president, Luiz Inacio Lula da Silva, and had already irritated Rousseff by telling a television station last week that he voted for her rival in elections last October.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Essel Group launches 'Asha 2022' affordable housing scheme
- Soldier buried under avalanche found alive at Siachen glacier
- Panel discussion on clashes at JNU over Afzal Guru row
- Panel discussion on detention of goat for grazing in bureaucrat's garden
- JNU students call terrorist Afzal Guru a martyr amid anti-nationalist slogans
- Drunk girl creates ruckus in Delhi's Connaught Place; arrested - Watch
- JNU erupts over 'Shaheed Afzal Guru', 'Azad Kashmir'; rival student groups clash, police deployed
- WATCH: 'Sting videos of Kejriwal govt's minister Imran Hussain's staffer demanding bribe of Rs 25 lakh for his boss'
- AAP poster showing Arvind Kejriwal with Bhindranwale sparks row in Punjab
- Big clash of 2016: Aamir Khan's 'Dangal' head on with Prabhas and SS Rajamouli's 'Baahubali 2' at the Box Office?