Brazil`s Lula starts cancer therapy
Sao Paulo: Brazil`s popular former President Luiz Inacio Lula da Silva started chemotherapy treatment for throat cancer on Monday, with his doctors voicing confidence in his chances of being cured within four months.
Tests showed the tumour discovered on his larynx was not an abnormal type of cancer and should respond well to chemotherapy and radiation therapy, said doctors at the Sao Paulo hospital where Lula was being treated as an outpatient.
"The outlook is very good," said Dr Roberto Kalil Filho, Lula`s personal doctor who is part of the team treating him at the Sirio Libanes Hospital, a renowned cancer centre.
"There is no other problem that could worsen the prognosis or raise the chance of collateral effects. We think the chances are very good."
Lula`s diagnosis on Saturday shocked Brazilians and raised the prospect of political life without the charismatic former union boss, who remains an influential force in Latin America`s largest country.
Some analysts and politicians have even speculated Lula could run for the presidency again in 2014 if President Dilma Rousseff were not to seek re-election.
Lula, who turned 66 last week, also had been expected to play a vital role in next year`s municipal elections, helping stump for candidates from his left-leaning Workers` Party.
Even if he recovers from cancer, his health raises doubts over his ability to continue playing such an active role in domestic politics, especially if the illness damages his voice box and limits his ability to speak publicly.
Lula has been a key advisor for Rousseff this year as she has dealt with rebellious allies in her ruling coalition and weathered the resignation of six ministers, five of them over corruption scandals.
A prolonged absence for Lula, who cancelled all national and international trips for the rest of this year, could give Rousseff more of a chance to put her stamp on the government. Most of the ministers involved in the corruption scandals were Lula appointees or allies.
Rousseff, who served as Lula`s chief of staff, has taken a tougher line than her mentor on corruption. Before taking office in January, Rousseff was herself treated successfully for cancer at the same medical centre that is treating Lula.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Zee Media exclusive chat with 'Welcome to Karachi' cast
- Reservation issue: Police register case against Bainsla, 20 others
- Zee Media exclusive interview with Haryana CM Manohar Lal Khattar
- UP Minister allegedly threatens, abuses Gonda businessman
- Manali: Heavy corruption found in environmental taxes
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 24, 2015
- Five unmanned parachutes spotted over Mumbai airport
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 7:30pm
- UP: Jammu-bound Muri Express derails in Kaushambi
- One year of Modi govt: How satisfied is the common man?
- Jaipur girl Mini Rajpal wins Miss India Deaf 2015!
- Mumbai architecture creates double decker bus from scrap!
- One year of Modi govt: How satisfied is the common man? Part-2
- Dawood's intercepted phone calls prove yet again he is in Pakistan
- CBSE Board Class 12th Exam Results 2015 declared
- IPL 2015 Final: MI vs CSK - As it happened...
- CBSE.nic.in 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board (cbseresults.nic.in) Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 to be announced on May 25
- Heatwave continues in North India; death toll in Andhra Pradesh, Telangana more than 400
- IPL 2015 final: Mumbai Indians thrash Chennai Super Kings by 41 runs to lift second title
- Heatwave claims over 550 lives so far, Delhi saw hottest day
- LIVE - Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic.in Class 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 to be announced shortly
- Check cbseresults.nic.in for CBSE Class 12 result 2015
- Kejriwal completes 100 days in office, AAP says centre 'shadow boxing' over row with LG
- Online filing of applications for UPSC civil services exam begins
- Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic.in Class 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 declared
- Not just today, Muslims feeling alienated since 1947: Najma Heptulla
- Mathura rally: PM Modi slams 'corrupt' UPA regime, lauds NDA govt's efforts in past one year
- CBSE Class 12 results out: Here's how you can check
- Two dead, over 100 injured as Muri Express derails in UP; Prabhu announces Rs 2 lakhs ex-gratia for kin of dead
- Pakistan criticizes Defence Minister Parrikar's terrorism remarks