Brazil`s Lula to face investigation
Sao Paulo: A top Brazilian newspaper is reporting that popular former President Luiz Inacio Lula da Silva will be investigated for allegations that he knew about a massive cash-for-votes scheme, the nation`s biggest corruption scandal.
The Estado de S. Paulo newspaper reports today that the attorney general has ordered the formal investigation. It cited no sources.
Before hours call to the attorney general`s office weren`t answered.
The same newspaper first reported last month that businessman Marcos Valerio told prosecutors that Silva knew of the scheme and financially benefited from it.
Silva denies any connection to the scheme, which became public in 2005. Valerio came forward with his accusations in September after he was convicted but before his sentencing he received 40 years in prison for his leading role in the scheme.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: Jayalalithaa's last rites performed by her close friend and aide Sasikala Natarajan
- Jayalalithaa's funeral procession: Sea of mourners gather to pay last respects
- Watch: Jayalalithaa's last rites performed by her close friend and aide Sasikala Natarajan - Part II
- DNA: Know why Jayalalithaa was buried and not cremated
- Panel discussion over continuous chaos in Parliament on demonetisation
- RIP Amma: Jayalalithaa dies after 75 days in hospital; Tamil Nadu mourns
- Twitter users blast Arvind Kejriwal as he says 'Modi will never appoint a Muslim Vice President no matter what Jung does'
- RBI to issue new Rs 100 banknotes, old notes to continue as legal tender
- Airtel’s free 4G internet offer may be a ploy to steal your data
- Kapil Sharma renews contract, his latest fee will make your jaw drop!