Brazil`s Rousseff recovers support ahead of October election
Brasilia: Brazilian President Dilma Rousseff has gained ground among voters after months of declining support, according to a new poll published on Wednesday, apparently benefiting from a successful start to the World Cup.
Support for the leftist president, seeking re-election on Oct. 5., has risen to 38 percent from 34 percent a month ago, the survey of eligible voters by Brazilian polling firm Datafolha said.
Support for her main challenger Aecio Neves has risen one percentage point to 20 percent from the previous Datafolha poll in June, while another rival Eduardo Campos advanced two percentage points to 9 percent, the survey showed.
Rousseff`s popularity has been hurt by high inflation in a stagnant economy and her support had been falling steadily from 47 percent in November, according to Datafolha polls.
But the World Cup has gone more smoothly than expected by Rousseff`s critics, who said the organization of the 32-nation soccer tournament would be an embarrassing disaster. Anti-World Cup protests by Brazilians opposed to the expense of hosting the event have all but fizzled out.
The new poll confirmed, however, that Brazil is heading for a tough presidential race that will likely go to a second-round run-off three weeks later.
The poll of 2,857 eligible voters was carried out on Tuesday and Wednesday and has a margin of error of two percentage points either way. It was posted on the website of Folha de S.Paulo newspaper that will publish more results in Thursday editions.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Exiled Kashmiri Pandits share their heart wrenching stories
- Basic ideals of Constitution are in danger: Sonia Gandhi
- PM Modi greets nation on occasion of first Constitution Day
- Manjula Vaghela's journey: From rag picker to head of a firm with Rs 1 cr turnover!
- Indian Army faces shortage of field firing ranges in J&K
- Woman commits suicide after heated discussion with husband over Aamir Khan's intolerance remark
- Intolerance issue: Those attacking me are only proving my point, says Aamir Khan – Read full statement
- Setback to Kejriwal-led AAP as MLA Akhilesh Tripathi arrested in riot case
- 10 interesting facts about Constitution which every Indian must know
- See pic: Genelia marks son's birthday!