Breaching US embassy wall over Prophet film `unjustified`: Egypt
Cairo: Egypt`s presidential spokesman says the breaching of the US embassy in Cairo during protests over a film deemed offensive to Islam was "unjustified," denouncing it in the strongest words to date to come from the nation`s highest office.
Spokesman Yasser Ali`s comments today seem aimed to defuse criticism of President Mohammed Mursi, who condemned the breaching of the mission`s perimeter only two days afterward, leading to tension with Washington.
Scores of Egyptian protesters scaled the embassy walls on Tuesday and entered its courtyard, tearing down the US flag.
Hours later, attackers in Libya killed four diplomats, including the ambassador, in an assault on the Benghazi consulate.
After three days of clashes in Cairo, authorities blocked off the embassy`s street with a concrete wall. The visa section remained closed today despite earlier plans to reopen.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- PHOTO: After KKR's loss vs SRH, Shah Rukh Khan Tweets heart-wrenching image of cheerleaders crying
- Kardashians offered USD 100 million movie deal?
- Supreme Court to hear Italian government's plea on marine today
- Aww! Nargis Fakhri is missing THESE guys and gals
- Online application process for NEET II from today. Check www.aipmt.nic.in