Breaching US embassy wall over Prophet film `unjustified`: Egypt
Cairo: Egypt`s presidential spokesman says the breaching of the US embassy in Cairo during protests over a film deemed offensive to Islam was "unjustified," denouncing it in the strongest words to date to come from the nation`s highest office.
Spokesman Yasser Ali`s comments today seem aimed to defuse criticism of President Mohammed Mursi, who condemned the breaching of the mission`s perimeter only two days afterward, leading to tension with Washington.
Scores of Egyptian protesters scaled the embassy walls on Tuesday and entered its courtyard, tearing down the US flag.
Hours later, attackers in Libya killed four diplomats, including the ambassador, in an assault on the Benghazi consulate.
After three days of clashes in Cairo, authorities blocked off the embassy`s street with a concrete wall. The visa section remained closed today despite earlier plans to reopen.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Essel Group Chairman Dr Subhash Chandra honoured in Haryana
- Watch: Essel Group Chairman Dr Subhash Chandra addresses people of Haryana
- India successfully test fires futuristic Scramjet Rocket Engine
- Modi govt plans Rs 2,000 crore package for refugees from PoK
- Watch: Baloch, Sindhi leaders hold joint protest against CPEC in London
- South Africa vs New Zealand, 2nd Test: Steyn, Philander strike after du Plessis ton as Proteas take control on Day 2
- Rio Olympics medallist Sakshi Malik to tie the knot soon: Report
- MPCA to decide on holding elections in Monday's AGM
- The solar system is home to millions of Jupiter-like planets, reveals NASA!
- Force India move up to fourth after strong finish in Belgium