Breaching US embassy wall over Prophet film `unjustified`: Egypt
Cairo: Egypt`s presidential spokesman says the breaching of the US embassy in Cairo during protests over a film deemed offensive to Islam was "unjustified," denouncing it in the strongest words to date to come from the nation`s highest office.
Spokesman Yasser Ali`s comments today seem aimed to defuse criticism of President Mohammed Mursi, who condemned the breaching of the mission`s perimeter only two days afterward, leading to tension with Washington.
Scores of Egyptian protesters scaled the embassy walls on Tuesday and entered its courtyard, tearing down the US flag.
Hours later, attackers in Libya killed four diplomats, including the ambassador, in an assault on the Benghazi consulate.
After three days of clashes in Cairo, authorities blocked off the embassy`s street with a concrete wall. The visa section remained closed today despite earlier plans to reopen.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch video: The epic battle between 'Machli' tigress and a 14-foot-long crocodile!
- India, Bangladesh swap border enclaves, settle historic dispute; people rejoice
- Home Ministry holds high-level meet over ISIS
- 'Remembering Dr APJ Abdul Kalam' - President Pranab Mukherjee's photo tribute on Twitter
- ‘Bajrangi Bhaijaan’ Salman Khan weaves magic at BO; to register Rs 500 crore soon!