Breastfeeding women protest after abuse in cafe
London: Carrying signs that read "Mother Suckers", over 200 breastfeeding mothers marched through Britain`s Bristol city Thursday after one woman said she was verbally abused by a waitress for feeding her baby at her cafe.
Kelly Schaecher, 28, said she had intended to breastfeed her five-month-old daughter Sasha while eating at the Park Street Cafe, The Sun reported.
But when she sat down, a waitress came over and told her she would have to sit in the corner if she wanted to feed her baby.
Schaecher said that after she left the cafe, the waitress followed her down the road and screamed: "Don`t you ever come back to my cafe with your t*** out again!"
"When this happened, I was absolutely terrified, and really shocked. I was only breastfeeding, and Bristol is a really family-friendly city. You see girls in nightclubs barely wearing any clothes all the time, so why would someone have a problem with me feeding my child?" said Schaecher, who works in procurement at the University of Bristol.
Word spread about the alleged incident, and Schaecher found a Facebook page calling for mothers to meet up and breastfeed at the cafe.
On Thursday, the crowd of women went to the cafe to make their feelings known. Many were carrying signs that read "Lactavists" and "Mother Suckers".
The cafe owner apologised, and gave everyone free tea or coffee and cake.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Trump-Sharif conversation: Team Donald denies Pakistan's claims
- Hizbul commander Musa issues threats of attacks in new video
- 'Heart of Asia' Conference begins in Amritsar; Sartaj Aziz to pay a visit on Sunday
- Aware of Chinese submarine deployment at Balochistan's Gwadar port, says Navy chief
- Panel discussion over Mamata Banerjee's false allegations on Indian Army for political gains
- Gujarat businessman declares highest ever black money amount – Rs 13,000 crore!
- Rs 14,000 crore default case: Gujarat businessman detained, says money belongs to politicians, babus
- Army proves Mamata Banerjee wrong, releases letter showing West Bengal govt knew of exercise
- Manohar Parrikar exposes Mamata's attempt to politicise routine Army exercise in Kolkata
- Newly-wed couple Yuvraj Singh and Hazel Keech perform `bhangra` at Goa airport – Viral video