Breastfeeding women protest after abuse in cafe
London: Carrying signs that read "Mother Suckers", over 200 breastfeeding mothers marched through Britain`s Bristol city Thursday after one woman said she was verbally abused by a waitress for feeding her baby at her cafe.
Kelly Schaecher, 28, said she had intended to breastfeed her five-month-old daughter Sasha while eating at the Park Street Cafe, The Sun reported.
But when she sat down, a waitress came over and told her she would have to sit in the corner if she wanted to feed her baby.
Schaecher said that after she left the cafe, the waitress followed her down the road and screamed: "Don`t you ever come back to my cafe with your t*** out again!"
"When this happened, I was absolutely terrified, and really shocked. I was only breastfeeding, and Bristol is a really family-friendly city. You see girls in nightclubs barely wearing any clothes all the time, so why would someone have a problem with me feeding my child?" said Schaecher, who works in procurement at the University of Bristol.
Word spread about the alleged incident, and Schaecher found a Facebook page calling for mothers to meet up and breastfeed at the cafe.
On Thursday, the crowd of women went to the cafe to make their feelings known. Many were carrying signs that read "Lactavists" and "Mother Suckers".
The cafe owner apologised, and gave everyone free tea or coffee and cake.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch - Huge fire breaks out at petrol pump in Kota, Rajasthan
- NSG now 'nine times' stronger; receives technological strength from 12 countries!
- Bihar: Congress leader Brajesh Pandey accused of running sex racket
- BJP MP Yogi Adityanath compares Akhilesh Yadav with 'Aurangzeb' and 'Kans'
- Acrimonious remarks of political leaders during UP elections
- Reliance Jio's tariff plan from April 1; voice calls, roaming to be free: Mukesh Ambani
- 7th Pay Commission: Allowances committee raises HRA to 30%?
- Virat Kohli thanks sprint legend Usain Bolt for congratulating him on 'record' Puma deal
- IPL 2017 Auction: Reaction-filled Twitter erupts with emotions!
- BMC elections results 2017: BJP to gain big amid neck-and-neck battle with Shiv Sena, reveals latest poll survey