Breedlove likely pick to lead NATO: Source
Brussels: Gen Philip M Breedlove, the top US Air Force commander in Europe, is the likely choice to become commander of all US and NATO forces in Europe, a senior NATO official said Thursday.
The job opened up this week when President Barack Obama`s first choice, Marine Gen John Allen, announced he would retire after 19 months commanding allied forces in Afghanistan in order to attend to his wife`s health issues.
The NATO official was not authorised to discuss internal deliberations and spoke today on condition of anonymity.
If nominated and confirmed by the Senate, Breedlove would be the first Air Force general to hold the top NATO job since Joseph Ralston in 2000-2003. Breedlove would succeed Navy Adm. James Stavridis, who has held the post since 2009.
Breedlove, a native of Forest Park, Ga., earned his Air Force officer commission in 1977 through the Reserve Officers Training Corps program at George Tech and has extensive overseas experience, including numerous tours of duty in Europe.
A fighter pilot by training, Breedlove served in Spain and Germany in the mid and late 1990s; in Italy from 2004-05, and in Germany in 2005-2006 and 2008-2009. He has held his current post as commander, US Air Forces Europe, since last July.
Breedlove also served tours in South Korea in 1991-1994 and 2000-2001.
The job of commanding NATO forces in Europe is considered one of the more prestigious command positions for US generals.
The US has about 80,000 troops based in Europe.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- There will be earthquake if I speak on demonetisation: Rahul Gandhi
- Opposition observes 'black day' to mark one month of demonetisation
- Zee Media Exclusive: A reality check on public opinion on notes ban!
- Panel discussion on the decision of demonetisation
- Watch shocking visuals - Speeding car rams pedestrians in Kolkata, 3 killed
- Yuvraj Singh-Hazel Keech Reception: MS Dhoni, Sourav Ganguly, Virender Sehwag attend lavish party — PHOTOS INSIDE
- Mongolia seeks India's financial aid, Chinese official media says it's 'insane'
- SC asks govt if demonetisation was confidential; to judge if policy unconstitutional
- Reliance Jio effect: Airtel offers free unlimited local and STD calls with 4G data at Rs 145
- OMG! Man punches Kangaroo in face to save dog – Watch video