BRIC `positive` on South African membership: Medvedev
Seoul: Russian President Dmitry Medvedev on Friday indicated BRIC could soon become BRICSA after member states reacted "positively" to an application by South Africa to join the group of emerging economies.
"Perhaps you heard that there are a number of requests to join BRIC, in particular a request from South Africa," Medvedev told reporters at the close of the G20 summit in Seoul.
"On the whole we perceive such requests positively. Today this is the united position of all BRIC country members."
BRIC, a term coined by Goldman Sachs economist Jim O`Neill in 2001 to describe the growing influence of large emerging economies, accounted for about half of global economic growth between 2000 and 2008.
The four countries -- Brazil, Russia, India and China -- will account for 61 percent of global growth in 2014, according to the International Monetary Fund.
The countries are not formally linked but have held summits and taken steps to boost financial cooperation and investment opportunities among them.
BRIC held its first formal summit in Russia last year. South Africa, whose economy is about one-fourth the size of India`s, has been lobbying heavily to be admitted to the club.
"I see the future of this group in a very bright light," Medvedev added.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Harmful chemicals found in Maggi, Nestle India still in denial mode
- CM Kejriwal shortlists 39 'unwanted' IAS officers in Delhi
- Rajasthan: Gujjars revive reservation agitation, block rail track
- J Jayalalithaa sworn-in as Chief Minister of Tamil Nadu
- DNA: Modi-led NDA govt's hits and misses in one year
- Zee Media Exclusive interview with Congress leader Kamal Nath
- Mumbai: One injured in shootout at Film City
- ISIS to buy first nuclear weapon from Pak?
- Mumbai: CCTV captures assailant with gun at Film City
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: Aspiring for more than what you have!
- BJP now central pole of Indian politics: Arun Jaitley
- Mathura SSP receives death threat letter, message for PM Modi
- Maharashtra FDA sends Maggi noodles for lab testing
- See what can Maggi do to your health!
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 7:30pm
- IPL 2015, Qualifier 2: CSK vs RCB - As it happened...
- India to soon have its own space shuttle!
- PM Narendra Modi graces Digvijay Singh's son wedding reception
- Rahul Gandhi to pressurise govt to act on one-rank-one-pension issue
- Goa Board SSC Exam Results 2015 announced
- ISIS close to buying nuclear weapon from Pakistan?
- Manohar Parrikar visits forward areas along LoC, reviews security situation
- There will be no delay in appointing CIC, CVC: Jitendra Singh
- Credibility of Prime Minister's Office restored by BJP, says Arun Jaitley
- ISIS justifies raping slave girls, says Michelle Obama is 'worth $40'
- Arvind Kejriwal to highlight AAP govt's 100 days work on Monday
- BJP's plan for one-year celebration: 200 big rallies, 5,000 public meetings
- 'Unhappy' Celina Jaitley asks Sunny Leone to move out?