BRICS influence on rise: Lavrov
Beijing: Russia on Wednesday said that the
influence of the BRICS group of emerging nations has gone up
considerably on the international stage and advocated greater
cooperation between them in the United Nations.
"The cooperation mechanism under the BRICS framework
was maturing and its influence was going up," Russian Foreign
Minister Sergei Lavrov said ahead of a summit of BRICS nations
-- Brazil, Russia, India China and South Africa -- in China.
"Now the alliance is expanded, with the joining of the
leading African country, South Africa. Thus, BRICS obtains a
real global scale," he told Chinese news agency Xinhua today.
He highlighted the notable progress BRICS countries
made with joint efforts in the reform of the international
financial-economic architecture, such as the World Bank and
the International Monetary Fund.
As for future cooperation, Lavrov said the bloc should
advance its cooperation in international economic and
"This will accelerate the process of overcoming the
influence of global crises and facilitate the creation of a
more democratic and just financial system," he said.
of relations with other leading developing countries and some
international organisations, such as the Shanghai Cooperation
Organisation and ASEAN.
Within BRICS, Lavrov said the cooperation mechanism
provided the member states with a very good possibility for
economic and technological cooperation based on complementing
one another`s advantages.
The third summit of leaders of BRICS countries is
being held in the southern Chinese city of Sanya under the
banner of `Looking into the Future, Sharing Prosperity`.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Security guard beats woman journalist publicly in Pakistan
- Pakistan violates ceasefire in J&K's Hiranagar; 7 Pak Rangers killed, BSF jawan injured
- ISIS terrorists escape Mosul disguised in women's clothing
- DNA: Analysing the existing poor condition of Indian education system
- DNA: Pakistan violates ceasefire in J&K's Hiranagar; Seven Pak Rangers killed
- Navjot Singh Sidhu out on zero to Waqar Younis in 1990 – The match Kapil Sharma keeps talking about
- MS Dhoni reacts in astonishment as Axar Patel takes a stunning one-handed catch - VIDEO
- BSP shrugs off Rita Bahuguna 's jump; says BJP will still face defeat in UP polls
- MS Dhoni or Virat Kohli? Here's Virender Sehwag's best ever reply
- Sushant Singh Rajput’s former girlfriend Ankita Lokhande’s Karva Chauth photos will surprise you