BRICS regret lack of progress in Mideast, Ukraine
25. Fortaleza: The BRICS group of emerging powers regrets the lack of progress in resolving the Israeli-Palestinian conflict and crises in Ukraine, Iraq and Syria, Brazil`s president said Tuesday.
Brazil, Russia, India, China and South Africa "lament the lack of concrete progress in the majority of these situations," President Dilma Rousseff said at a summit in the northeastern Brazilian city of Fortaleza.
25. "We agreed that, in all of them, long-term solutions necessarily go through the path of dialogue, which depends on the commitment of all parties involved," she said.
She said the five leaders back "constructive and cohesive involvement of the international community" to avoid "unilateral situations" that serve "specific countries but compromise negotiated situations of interest for the majority."
Russian President Vladimir Putin, who is on a tour of Latin America, has been calling for a "multipolar" world amid tensions with the West over the Ukraine crisis.
25. The meetings give Putin his first international summit since being kicked out of the G8 group of industrialized nations over Ukraine.
The United States is threatening to impose new economic sanctions on Russia over accusations that it is backing pro-Moscow separatist rebels in eastern Ukraine.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- SCs, STs, OBCs with 50 pc marks in Master's eligible for NET: Govt
- Verizon buys Yahoo for $4.8 billion: 10 things to know
- Maharashtra CID to seek custody of Dabholkar murder accused Virendra Tawde
- NGOs to be considered public servants, have to disclose assets and liabilities: Report
- Army Chief pays homage to martyrs on Kargil Vijay Divas