BRICS regret lack of progress in Mideast, Ukraine
25. Fortaleza: The BRICS group of emerging powers regrets the lack of progress in resolving the Israeli-Palestinian conflict and crises in Ukraine, Iraq and Syria, Brazil`s president said Tuesday.
Brazil, Russia, India, China and South Africa "lament the lack of concrete progress in the majority of these situations," President Dilma Rousseff said at a summit in the northeastern Brazilian city of Fortaleza.
25. "We agreed that, in all of them, long-term solutions necessarily go through the path of dialogue, which depends on the commitment of all parties involved," she said.
She said the five leaders back "constructive and cohesive involvement of the international community" to avoid "unilateral situations" that serve "specific countries but compromise negotiated situations of interest for the majority."
Russian President Vladimir Putin, who is on a tour of Latin America, has been calling for a "multipolar" world amid tensions with the West over the Ukraine crisis.
25. The meetings give Putin his first international summit since being kicked out of the G8 group of industrialized nations over Ukraine.
The United States is threatening to impose new economic sanctions on Russia over accusations that it is backing pro-Moscow separatist rebels in eastern Ukraine.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Maysore Maharaja Yaduveer ties knot with princess Trishika of Dungarpur
- India becomes full member of Missile Technology Control Regime
- Singapore Airlines plane catches fire at Changi Airport
- Govt's insensitivity towards Pampore terror attack martyrs leaves nation stunned
- Mysore Maharaja Yaduveer Wadiar ties knot with princess Trishika Singh of Dungarpur, Rajasthan
- Brexit will greatly weaken EU, says European Commission Vice-President Maros Sefcovic
- SHOCKING! This model ran sex racket under guise of production house in Mumbai's Versova, arrested
- 'BJP will retain power at Centre in 2019 Lok Sabha elections'
- Theatre doyen Kavalam Narayana Panicker passes away; he was 88
- AugustaWestland VVIP chopper scam: None will be spared, asserts Defence Minister Manohar Parrikar