BRICS` solidarity good news for world: Chinese media
Beijing: The 4th BRICS summit sent positive signals to the outside world that global stability, security and prosperity could be achieved if everyone pulled together, the Chinese media reported on Friday.
A daily in an editorial, "Solidarity of BRICS", stated: "Given that the BRICS countries have become an increasingly important force on the world stage and the drivers of the global economy, their pledge to make due contributions to the world development and prosperity should be interpreted as good news for all."
In the joint declaration issued by the leaders of BRICS (Brazil, Russia, India, China and South Africa), they vowed to enhance cooperation among themselves and contribute to world development and prosperity.
The nations also voiced their united support for a Syrian peace process promoted by international envoy Kofi Annan and warned of the "disastrous consequences" of allowing the Iran nuclear issue to escalate into conflict.
The editorial appreciated that the group showed solidarity on issues of global significance. "By speaking with one voice, they can better defend their own interests and those of the developing world at large and promote fairer global governance," the daily said.
The summit came at a crucial moment, as the global economic recovery is still dragging its feet, entangled by fragile financial systems, high public and private debt, high unemployment and the rising price of oil. Pressing issues, such as climate change, food security and energy security also pose grave challenges, it said.
This summit has clearly not been a wasted opportunity and has been successful in advancing cooperation, consultation and coordination among the member countries. It has made it clear that they have come together for the benefit of their people and the international community as a whole, the editorial said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Maysore Maharaja Yaduveer ties knot with princess Trishika of Dungarpur
- India becomes full member of Missile Technology Control Regime
- Singapore Airlines plane catches fire at Changi Airport
- Govt's insensitivity towards Pampore terror attack martyrs leaves nation stunned
- Mysore Maharaja Yaduveer Wadiar ties knot with princess Trishika Singh of Dungarpur, Rajasthan
- First Minister Nicola Sturgeon plans EU future for Scotland after Brexit
- Seven hospitalized in California stabbing at neo-Nazi rally
- I respect martyrdom but you're trained to kill enemy, not to die - Manohar Parrikar told jawans
- Pampore attack: Did CRPF ignore specific intelligence input from Jammu and Kashmir Police?
- Euro 2016: Belgium beat Hungary 4-0 to reach quarterfinal as Yannick Carrasco scores final goal