Bridge collapses in Brazil, 15 people missing
Sao Paulo: A rain-swollen river swept away a bridge in southern Brazil, leaving as many 15 people missing, authorities said.
The civil defence authorities said 11 people were rescued after the mishap but between five and 15 people were missing. It denied earlier press reports that seven people were
The bridge was on route ERS-287, spanning the Jacui River near Agudo, in Rio Grande do Sul state, O Globo reported in its online edition.
"Part of the bridge collapsed and some people went over to see what was happening. And then the rest of it fell down," firefighter Menardino Weber told O Globo.
Floods and landslides triggered by heavy rains have killed 72 people in Brazil in the past week, with the greatest number of fatalities in Angra dos Reis, a beach city south of
Rio de Janeiro.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Congress plans nationwide media blitz against 2 years of NDA's 'misrule'; to release film, booklet
- PHOTO: After KKR's loss vs SRH, Shah Rukh Khan Tweets heart-wrenching image of cheerleaders crying
- Kardashians offered USD 100 million movie deal?
- Supreme Court to hear Italian government's plea on marine today
- Aww! Nargis Fakhri is missing THESE guys and gals