Bridge collapses in Indonesia; 3 dead, 17 injured
Jakarta: A busy bridge collapsed on Saturday in
central Indonesia, killing at least three people and injuring
17 others as a bus, cars and motorcycles crashed into the
river below, police and witnesses said.
Captain Syafii Nafsikin said search and rescue teams
rushed to the scene.
Survivors, swimming to shore, were screaming in panic.
The sprawling, 700-metre bridge built to resemble the
Golden Gate Bridge in San Francisco linked the towns of
Tenggarong and Samarinda in East Kalimantan province.
It was clogged with traffic when the accident occurred,
Syaiful, a witness, told local television station TVOne.
He saw at least one bus and close to a dozen motorcycles
plunge into the Mahakam river. Several cars were mangled.
"Everyone was screaming," said Syaiful, who like many
Indonesians uses only one name.
East Kalimantan police spokesman Colonel Antonius Wisnu
Sutirta said it wasn`t immediately clear why the 10-year-old
He said at least three people were killed and 17 others
were injured and rushed to nearby hospitals.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is Akhilesh Yadav overlooking Muslims as Mulayam Singh alleged?
- DNA: Why did Navjot Singh Sidhu call BJP 'Kaikeyi’, Congress ‘Kaushalya’?
- 38-year-old arrested for ‘raping’ minors in Delhi; assaulted over 600 girls
- My father wanted me to be a man of character: Navjot Singh Siddhu
- BJP announces 149 names in first list of candidates for UP elections
- Geeta Phogat comes to rescue of Zaira Wasim; hits out at trolls, asks actress not to apologise
- India vs England, 1st ODI: Ravichandran Aswhin steals the show with huge six — WATCH
- Petrol price hiked by 42 paisa per litre, diesel by Rs 1.03 a litre
- ‘Dangal’ star Zaira Wasim says I am not a role model, not proud of what I am doing
- Assembly Elections: BJP releases list of 149 candidates for Uttar Pradesh, 64 for Uttarakhand