Brisk start to voting in Maldives presidential poll
Male: Hundreds of people lined up outside polling stations in over 200 islands to elect a new president for the Maldives here on Saturday.
As many as 470 ballot boxes have been arranged for voters who were seen exercising their franchise enthusiastically at the start of polling in this Indian Ocean group of islands, reported Xinhua.
"It is a relief to finally vote after so many delays. We hope that this time it will result in a president accepted by all," voter Hilmy Waheed told Xinhua after casting his vote.
Earlier, all three candidates in the presidential race voted on Saturday morning.
This is the third attempt being made to elect a president after two previous attempts were derailed by political infighting.
The first round of polling held on September 07 was annulled by the Supreme Court after allegations of mass scale vote rigging.
A second attempt to hold elections on October 19 was called off hours before voting was to begin after police refused to distribute ballot papers and boxes to 200 odd islands.
Maldives election officials are scrambling to be ready for a possible two rounds of polling this weekend ahead of a crucial constitutional deadline on November 11, which states that if the country does not elect a president by November 11 the Parliament speaker will take over and oversee the transition of power.
Unless a candidate wins an outright majority of 50 percent or more, the two top candidates will go into a second round run-off scheduled for Sunday. The winner will be sworn into office on Monday.
Ali Mohamed Manik, member of the Maldives Elections Commission, told reporters that the ballot papers to be used in the second round of the presidential election, scheduled for Sunday, November 11, have been sent for printing.
Speaking at a press conference, Manik said the ballot papers used in the second round will contain the names of all three candidates despite the fact that only the top two candidates will be eligible for the second round run-off.
Meanwhile, Haveeru Online reported that voter turnout so far has been lower than expected.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- PM Modi speaks at Golden Jubilee celebrations of poet Dinkar’s works
- Vadodara: Policemen seen dancing with bar girls
- Coal scam: Naveen Jindal, Madhu Koda and others get bail
- DNA: IAF Mirage 2000 fighter plane lands successfully on Yamuna expressway
- One year of Modi govt: Arun Jaitley addresses press conference
- Zee Media Exclusive: Kangana, Madhavan talk about their film 'Tanu Weds Manu Returns'
- DNA: Osama documents show 'Indian brother in Madinah' financed al Qaeda
- ISIS executes Syrian fighter using anti-tank rocket launcher
- DNA: Harmful chemicals found in Maggi, Nestle India still in denial mode
- Zee Media Exclusive interview with Congress leader Kamal Nath
- CM Kejriwal shortlists 39 'unwanted' IAS officers in Delhi
- Columbia student takes rape-protest mattress to graduation
- Mumbai: One injured in shootout at Film City
- Delhi: Car catches fire after crash, one dead
- DNA: Modi-led NDA govt's hits and misses in one year
- Jayalalithaa makes public appearance, meets Governor: As it happened
- Mumbai firm booked for denying Muslim MBA graduate job on religious grounds, probe ordered
- Geelani's passport application incomplete, cannot be processed: MEA
- IPL 2015, Qualifier 2: CSK vs RCB - As it happened...
- India to soon have its own space shuttle!
- Kejriwal slams notification on LG's powers, says Modi running Delhi govt through back door
- WBBSE 10th Madhyamik Results 2015: West Bengal Board (wbbse.org & wbresults.nic.in) Class 10th Madhyamik Pariksha Results 2015 to be announced on May 22
- Tanu Weds Manu Returns movie review: Brilliant execution, superb performance!
- Don't know what will happen to my career, says Ranbir Kapoor
- Manohar Parrikar meets troops at Siachen base camp
- Wbbse.org 10th Madhyamik Pariksha Results 2015: West Bengal Board (wbresults.nic.in) Class 10th, WB MP Results 2015 to be announced today shortly
- Businessman shot next to Amitabh Bachchan's shooting location in Mumbai Film City
- West Bengal Board (wbbse.org & wbresults.nic.in) Class 10th Madhyamik Pariksha (MP) Results 2015 to be announced today at 10 AM
- After land bill, net neutrality, Rahul Gandhi to fight for ex-servicemen now
- RBSE 12th Results 2015 (rajeduboard.nic.in & rajresults.nic.in): Rajasthan Board BSER Ajmer Senior Secondary Class 12th XII Intermediate Science & Commerce Exam Results 2015 to be declared today on May 22