Britain a `small island nobody cares about`: Russia
London: Russia has dismissed Britain as `a small island that nobody listens to` at the G20 summit of world leaders.
A spokesman for host President Vladimir Putin, Syria`s big ally, tried to dismiss the UK, saying that Britain is a small island - nobody pays any attention to them apart from the Russian oligarchs who have bought up Chelsea.
The extraordinary slur came at the meeting in St Petersburg while world leaders were discussing over Syria gas attacks.
According to the Mirror, Russia`s remarks were clearly aimed at deflating the importance of British Prime Minister David Cameron`s backing for America`s proposed air strikes against Bashar al-Assad regime.
Cameron was left furious over Russia`s remarks and claimed he had fresh evidence of chemical weapons use in Syria.
But America was the major target of Russia`s anger.
US Secretary of State John Kerry was branded a `liar` who misled his own Congress to get a vote in favour of bombing Syria.
Putin also said he has doubts over US claims about having evidence the Assad regime was responsible for the gas attack on August 21, the report added.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: PM Narendra Modi addressing rally in Imphal
- Will Shiv Sena join hands with Congress to stop BJP from entering BMC?
- China 'threatened' by ISRO's record-setting achievement?
- Report: Are mobile smartphones more unhygienic than toilet seats?
- Why is Akhilesh Yadav encouraging dishonesty for votes?
- Ind vs Aus: Mohammed Azharuddin says Jayant Yadav and Ishant Sharma should be replaced in next Test
- WATCH: Kieron Pollard's epic celebration after destroying Lahore Qalandars in Dubai
- Indian doctor rescued from ISIS recounts horror, says 'they forced me to watch videos, shot me thrice'
- Mitchell Johnson takes a dig at Anil Kumble over calling Steve O'Keefe 'steady'
- Pune Test: Virender Sehwag could have saved India from embarrassment, says former Aussie stars