Britain a `small island nobody cares about`: Russia
London: Russia has dismissed Britain as `a small island that nobody listens to` at the G20 summit of world leaders.
A spokesman for host President Vladimir Putin, Syria`s big ally, tried to dismiss the UK, saying that Britain is a small island - nobody pays any attention to them apart from the Russian oligarchs who have bought up Chelsea.
The extraordinary slur came at the meeting in St Petersburg while world leaders were discussing over Syria gas attacks.
According to the Mirror, Russia`s remarks were clearly aimed at deflating the importance of British Prime Minister David Cameron`s backing for America`s proposed air strikes against Bashar al-Assad regime.
Cameron was left furious over Russia`s remarks and claimed he had fresh evidence of chemical weapons use in Syria.
But America was the major target of Russia`s anger.
US Secretary of State John Kerry was branded a `liar` who misled his own Congress to get a vote in favour of bombing Syria.
Putin also said he has doubts over US claims about having evidence the Assad regime was responsible for the gas attack on August 21, the report added.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- There will be earthquake if I speak on demonetisation: Rahul Gandhi
- Zee Media Exclusive: A reality check on public opinion on notes ban!
- DNA: Analysis of the letter written by defence minister to Kolkata CM?
- DNA: Is political system root cause of corruption in the country?
- DNA: Analysing the importance of Hindi language in our society
- Mongolia seeks India's financial aid, Chinese official media says it's 'insane'
- PoK erupts with 'azadi' slogans; Pakistan Army brutally thrashes protesters
- Virat Kohli makes fun of Alastair Cook after England exhaust both DRS wrongly, watch video
- SC asks govt if demonetisation was confidential; to judge if policy unconstitutional
- OMG! Man punches Kangaroo in face to save dog – Watch video